Does the Second Amendment cover edged weapons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do the words 'shall not be infringed' mean that the second amendment protects an absolute right to arms?

Beyond a shadow of doubt. There is no better defense of this country, person, property, freedoms and rights than an armed populace.

Woody

"We the People reserve the right and the power to preserve or restore freedom and the Constitution. Those vested with the powers to serve shall neither deprive The People the means, nor compel such recourse." B.E. Wood

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bear with me please, but does this mean that the government cannot regulate the possession of arms by anyone under any circumstances?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bear with me please, but does this mean that the government cannot regulate the possession of arms by anyone under any circumstances?

That is exactly what the Second Amendment says. Of course the Fourth and Fifth Amendments do come into play where criminal activity can justify the seizure of your arms and, if convicted, deprive you access to them until you have paid your debt to society.

Woody

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is exactly what the Second Amendment says. Of course the Fourth and Fifth Amendments do come into play where criminal activity can justify the seizure of your arms and, if convicted, deprive you access to them until you have paid your debt to society.

Woody
Can the debt to society include a forfeiture of certain rights that extend beyond the period of incarceration?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can the debt to society include a forfeiture of certain rights that extend beyond the period of incarceration?
Dave70968 said:
There doesn't seem to be anything in the Constitution that would prohibit it.

It doesn't matter that the Constitution doesn't prohibit it. There is no grant of power to do it.

Woody

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My question probably should have been "should" rather than can. Obviously the law can because it does. I don't know the history of state laws that began prohibition following felony convictions and I don't wholly support or reject them. Just challenging the idea that a blanket restoration of rights should exist for people after time served. I think other factors should be considered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom