Dog Bites?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My heeler mutt would probably bite someone as he nipped a delivery person once (hasn't done it again, I was very displeased with him). The Maltipoo might bite an ankle, if she could get her mouth around it. She is mostly all bark and it's hilarious to hear her little growl when she tries to be fierce. The two of them together are an awesome doorbell / burglar alarm.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two stories. Our last two dogs were both Miniature Pinschers, and would bark like crazy at anyone outside the fence. We had invited two of our church elders for a visit after we joined our church. When they came, the two MinPins met them at the gate and began to inform them that they weren't to open the gate. I heard the noise and went out. The dogs stopped barking and backed up as the elders came inside and were friendly as all get out all the time the elders were there.

When I managed a country grain elevator in the Panhandle, I also delivered fuel to the farmers. One customer had a bad reputation of not paying his bills, so when I delivered to him, I had to be paid before I left his premises. I went up to their back door to get paid, and as I went up the several steps of their porch, one little sneaky Chihuahua jumped up on the step above where I was standing and bit me just above my boot. Fortunately, it was just a nip and never even broke the skin.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have spent two years two months with this dog 24/7. He will not get close to a visitor, he is told he can let them pet. Ladies he will let them pet a couple pets then he goes away. Loves kids. We have an elect gate and solid metal fencing on one side, wood on one side and tall chain link. Out side I am with him, he will charge the gate til I call him back if someone pulls up. Then he goes in the shop and sits. He outside by himself, nothing he allows to be in his acre. He would eat up someone up that got inside his one acre. He is a smart dog.
Blows my mind how smart he is.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno about the "submissive position" but everything else you've said I agree with.
If they give signs theyre thinking about being aggressive, it is just using the scruff of their neck to make them lay down on the floor. There's no hitting or anything else that would actually escalate things and break the dogs trust in me which are both unacceptable to me.

For the two dogs we have now, it has never been a problem. They typically just go to their beds in the office and lay down because they're not really into new people. Once the guests have been here an hour or so, they get more curious and will eventually at least smell the guest before going back to their beds.

Some dogs respond to verbal cues and are really eager to please, others are more assertive and respond better to firmness. About like kids, it is a guessing game until you find a method that works for that individual.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they give signs theyre thinking about being aggressive, it is just using the scruff of their neck to make them lay down on the floor. There's no hitting or anything else that would actually escalate things and break the dogs trust in me which are both unacceptable to me.

For the two dogs we have now, it has never been a problem. They typically just go to their beds in the office and lay down because they're not really into new people. Once the guests have been here an hour or so, they get more curious and will eventually at least smell the guest before going back to their beds.

Some dogs respond to verbal cues and are really eager to please, others are more assertive and respond better to firmness. About like kids, it is a guessing game until you find a method that works for that individual.

No I understand the training technique I just don't know that I would ever use it. My dad's fav with dogs -- and kids. Not a fan. And no dog I've ever had has needed me to do that.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I understand the training technique I just don't know that I would ever use it. My dad's fav with dogs -- and kids. Not a fan. And no dog I've ever had has needed me to do that.
I understand completely. Our Anatolians required it as pups or they would run all over us, they were by far the most intelligent and stubborn breed of dogs I have ever been responsible for. Our Rotties when I was a child and these two German Shepherd mixes respond just fine to tone of voice the vast majority of the time.

I am very thankful our kids also respond well to tone of voice haha. I much prefer to talk things out if at all possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom