Dog Question-Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, exposing your kids to various pets is better for them than restricting their access to animals. Kids build up resistance to more things they are exposed to. The germophobe mentallity is very dangerous for kids that never get exposed to simple things they have never been exposed to before.

Also, local hive honey can help tremendously with pollen allergies. Its certainly a sweet way to take your medicine.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a Medical Doctor. I'm speaking from personal experience.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, exposing your kids to various pets is better for them than restricting their access to animals.

The theory here, too, is that many "allergies" are the result of being exposed to something unfamiliar.

There's also many studies that show that "dirty" societies have stronger immune systems than "clean" societies for this very reason.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, exposing your kids to various pets is better for them than restricting their access to animals. Kids build up resistance to more things they are exposed to. The germophobe mentallity is very dangerous for kids that never get exposed to simple things they have never been exposed to before.

Also, local hive honey can help tremendously with pollen allergies. Its certainly a sweet way to take your medicine.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a Medical Doctor. I'm speaking from personal experience.

I agree actually. She gets send home from daycare alot for catching stuff but I think by the time she starts school she will have a pretty good immune system. Were just gonna err on the cautious side and bathe him more.....can't hurt right?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I think were gonna give the grooming and new air filters a try. He also sleeps next to her crib (kinda protective, hes a boxer) so I think if we stop that it will also help. Thanks for you guys help.

I have an allergy to dogs, as well as cats. I also have had 2 or 3 dogs and anywhere from 3 to 7 cats my entire adult life. My dad was a vet, so not being around animals was really not an option when I was a kiddo. :werd:

All of my pets come in and out of the house as they please (much to GC's chagrin). Jackie never leaves my side.

I would be careful about bathing a boxer (actually any dog) that much. Might dry out his skin and create more problems for you. Try every couple of weeks at first and if you can go to every month for a bath and get the waterless shampoo that Furminator puts out to use inbetween.

Get the HEPA filters for your AC/Heat. Have the vents cleaned every 6 months and keep everything spic and span. My dad gave me a half the recommended dose of benedryl whether I was symptomatic or not. I am not suggesting you medicate your child, just telling you what worked for us.

If you can put down hardwood or tile all through the house and use areas rugs but have them cleaned regularly.

My allergies are not nearly as bad as they used to be. I only take benedryl now in the fall and I think that has more to do with grass and tree pollen than the dogs and cats.

Good luck.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to see an immunologist and have allergy tests conducted.

It may be a little expensive, but its worth it. What they do is take many different types of allergens and in different doses, inject them just slightly below the skin (similar to a TB test if youve had that). They check within a couple days for a reaction and based on the strength of the reaction to the dosage of the allergen, they can determine what exactly is causing the allergy.

This is the only true way to determine if its the pet, a detergent, and environmental allergen, etc...

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree actually. She gets send home from daycare alot for catching stuff but I think by the time she starts school she will have a pretty good immune system. Were just gonna err on the cautious side and bathe him more.....can't hurt right?

There is a difference to immunity to disease causing bugs and allergy. Allergy is a hypersensative reaction to something not normal to cause allergies. Repeated exposure can induce more severe episodes and eventually life threatening symptoms. Bascially what happens is circulating anti-bodies bind an allergen and trigger a special cell to dump huge amounts of histamine and other chemicals into the blood causing the throat to swell, massive edema, and eventually shock if the blood pressure drops low enough.

Immunity to a disease is similar in that it involves anti-bodies, however they then bind a different special cell which consumes the invading pathogen and destroy it. This is true that repeated exposure can improve or maintain immunity (in some cases).

Latest posts

Top Bottom