Dog sprayed by skunk...help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the dogs woke the wife up (probably because it heard the skunk) and she proceeded to let the dog out and it got sprayed in the face. Then she let it back in and came and woke me up to tell me something was wrong with the dog LOL.

Let me tell you, the smell up close & personal is NOTHING like the smell you smell while driving when you smell a skunk. It is awful, and now entire house still smells like it.

I stayed up until sunrise, first spraying a vinegar and water solution on the parts of the dog that were most affected. Then I gave the uncooperative dog (imagine that) a bath in the hose and some essential oils shampoo outside, then rinsed and then came into the bathtub and gave another vinegar treatment and shampoo bath and rinse.

I left all the windows open but I still smelled skunk and dreamed of skunk during the few hours of sleep I finally got. Windows still open, but my main concern is how to get the smell out of the dog...I know about tomato juice but I wasn't going to endure that mess at 4 o'clock in the morning. The smell in the house and the dog is about 50% better than last night, but I am wondering if there is an secret solution anyone can offer that primarily could be used to put on the dog's head to further reduce the smell?

Also, can anything take the smell out of a nice leather collar or will I need to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, cup of baking soda and a good healthy squirt of blue Dawn Dish Soap. Mix into a paste and apply liberally to dog or you. Let set 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat if needed.

This has worked well the 3 times my Schnauzer has gotten nailed. We are supposed to do skunk check prior to a 5AM dog pee trip, but my wife likes to gamble.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, cup of baking soda and a good healthy squirt of blue Dawn Dish Soap. Mix into a paste and apply liberally to dog or you. Let set 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat if needed.

This has worked well the 3 times my Schnauzer has gotten nailed. We are supposed to do skunk check prior to a 5AM dog pee trip, but my wife likes to gamble.

+1 on this, the portions may vary. We've settled on this recipe after several skunk run-ins with our dogs.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up we had a dobie/shepherd mix that got skunked on a camping trip............... that was a long ride home!! :cool: That was one of the memories burnt into my memorex .... just a slight whiff of skunk and it transports me right back to where I do not want to be LOL.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Sounds like your Schnauzer is a little hard headed as well! :cool:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Petco or southern ag make a solution you can buy that really helps. Buy the gallon jug and go in with the understanding that the dog is just going to sink for a while

Latest posts

Top Bottom