Dog sprayed by skunk...help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put the dog on a short leash in the bed of your pickup. Go through the drive through carwash....twice. Hang a pine tree air freshener around dog's neck. Park pickup in driveway with dog still in back. Go in the house, leave a note for your wife to get the dog out when she gets up. Go back to bed.

Last edited:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, cup of baking soda and a good healthy squirt of blue Dawn Dish Soap. Mix into a paste and apply liberally to dog or you. Let set 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat if needed.

This has worked well the 3 times my Schnauzer has gotten nailed. We are supposed to do skunk check prior to a 5AM dog pee trip, but my wife likes to gamble.
This + talk to your vet.
We had the same thing happen, dog got sprayed, wife let in the house. It rubbed on every piece of furniture it could get to trying to rub the skunk off. We bought a bottle of I think it was called Skunk Off from the vet. It mixes with water and you put it in a garden sprayer. Spray it on everything and let it dry. Next day oder is gone.

I slept in my shop for 3 nights before we found what worked.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been sprayed from point blank range twice-pants and shirt were yellow from the spray-and you are correct about the smell. Almost a tear gas effect with nose running, eyes burning and gag reflex. I used the peroxide, baking soda, lemon juice and dawn soap mixture from a spray bottle. I think it worked alright but after a few days I got to where I couldn’t smell it but if I walked into the cafe someone would ask “ you get sprayed by a skunk”?
I too camped out in the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back I saw one of those afternoon "help/bordering on infomercial" talk shows, and they were interviewing a lady who specialized in cleaning stuff. She said to use a douche (the feminine hygiene product, not the Internet troll) to get skunk off your dog.

I've never had the need to try it on my dog, but I was once driving up a section road where a guy was mowing his yard between the fence and the road. About the time I passed him, he hit a (presumably dead) skunk with the mower, and flung it out under my car. Holy hell, that son of a gun splattered all over the underside of my car, and hitting the hot exhaust certainly didn't do it any favors.

I can't tell you how many times I went through the automatic car wash with the "bottom blaster" feature trying to get it to an almost tolerable level of stink. About the third time around, the attendant came out and asked if there was a problem with the car wash and if he needed to give me a free run through...then the wind shifted, and he figured it out in a hurry...

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, cup of baking soda and a good healthy squirt of blue Dawn Dish Soap. Mix into a paste and apply liberally to dog or you. Let set 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat if needed.

This has worked well the 3 times my Schnauzer has gotten nailed. We are supposed to do skunk check prior to a 5AM dog pee trip, but my wife likes to gamble.

That is what we use, we have one of our Goldens get sprayed at least once a year. Smell will eventually go away but every time the collar/or dog gets wet it will smell for a while. And yes one of us always goes out with the dogs after dark to check the yard

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the dogs woke the wife up (probably because it heard the skunk) and she proceeded to let the dog out and it got sprayed in the face. Then she let it back in and came and woke me up to tell me something was wrong with the dog LOL.

Let me tell you, the smell up close & personal is NOTHING like the smell you smell while driving when you smell a skunk. It is awful, and now entire house still smells like it.

I stayed up until sunrise, first spraying a vinegar and water solution on the parts of the dog that were most affected. Then I gave the uncooperative dog (imagine that) a bath in the hose and some essential oils shampoo outside, then rinsed and then came into the bathtub and gave another vinegar treatment and shampoo bath and rinse.

I left all the windows open but I still smelled skunk and dreamed of skunk during the few hours of sleep I finally got. Windows still open, but my main concern is how to get the smell out of the dog...I know about tomato juice but I wasn't going to endure that mess at 4 o'clock in the morning. The smell in the house and the dog is about 50% better than last night, but I am wondering if there is an secret solution anyone can offer that primarily could be used to put on the dog's head to further reduce the smell?

Also, can anything take the smell out of a nice leather collar or will I need to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance!
Get a bunch of dirt add water and make lots of mud. Rub mud all over the coat and everywhere on the dog. Let mud set and completely dry. Longer the better to make sure it's dry. Just wash it off and the oil from the skunk comes off with the mud. Easy as pie. Or you can go to a vet and pay for a shampoo that works doing the same thing

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A skunk just sprayed a friends dog the other night- & I HIGHLY recommended this recipe to her.
My dog's 17 & half now...blind, deaf, & is happy just to hunt down her food & water bowls- but whenever she used to bother the 'striped neighbors'- THIS was the answer.
After a good scrubbing/soaking/& drying...I could only smell skunk if I stuck my nose right up to her fur.
My li'l reddish dog became a few shades blonder, but (ironically) a few points smarter after that.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Lab got sprayed a few years ago, and this stuff works great.
F28B33A0-F7C2-4627-A423-9B9F3B56AA3C.jpeg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A skunk just sprayed a friends dog the other night- & I HIGHLY recommended this recipe to her.
My dog's 17 & half now...blind, deaf, & is happy just to hunt down her food & water bowls- but whenever she used to bother the 'striped neighbors'- THIS was the answer.
After a good scrubbing/soaking/& drying...I could only smell skunk if I stuck my nose right up to her fur.
My li'l reddish dog became a few shades blonder, but (ironically) a few points smarter after that.
Two ways that work. The vet has some great stuff that works. It's a shampoo. Tomato past/sause if BS. It don't work and your bathroomm will look like the texas chainsaw murder was there. Another good thing that works, is to cover your dogs fur and hide as much as you can, let it dry completly then just rinse off. Takes the oils with it and that's the smell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom