Dogs and Gunfire Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to get a new dog sometime next year and I'd like some advice on how to train them to not be scared around gunfire. Before someone says it I plan on getting hearing protection for them so they don't end up half deaf like me since we didn't know about protecting our hearing when I grew up.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a .410 or light loads 20
Sit and hold dog, talking calmly
Have friend BEHIND you, 10 yards away, pointing gun AWAY from you
Tell them you are ready
When they shot, have another friend throw a retriever dummy
You call "bird" and point, sending dog to retrieve.

Have dog retrieving BEFORE taking a gun.

Keep dog away from fireworks

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you have an outside kennel, great, this works best, if not no big deal, leash him to something. I start this process within the week I bring the pup home, so young. Start about 50y away where the pup can see you and the gun and fire into the ground with a .22, they should be curious as to what you're doing. I do this several times, and then go get the pup out, rifle in hand but no more shooting, let the pup get used to seeing the gun with you. Leave the gun next to the food dish when the pup eats. Repeat process for a few days, eventually moving closer and closer to the pup that's kenneled or leashed. I usually do this for three or four days. Then I progress to the dog not kenneled or on leash, go out and play with the dog with the rifle in hand and try to distance yourself from the pup, then fire into the ground, $100 says he runs up to you to see what he just missed out on. Couple of days of that and then repeat process with 12g. After he's retrieving, have someone stand around the corner, toss the dummy out, fire in the air. Then give your retrieve command to go fetch.

There's various variations of this of course, and every dog is a little different. What kind of dog are you looking at? My labs have picked up on this quick, and within about 2 weeks, they were sitting next to me while shooting a 12g into the air calm as can be. So about 10-12 weeks old depending on pup's bring home date.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have an outside kennel, great, this works best, if not no big deal, leash him to something. I start this process within the week I bring the pup home, so young. Start about 50y away where the pup can see you and the gun and fire into the ground with a .22, they should be curious as to what you're doing. I do this several times, and then go get the pup out, rifle in hand but no more shooting, let the pup get used to seeing the gun with you. Leave the gun next to the food dish when the pup eats. Repeat process for a few days, eventually moving closer and closer to the pup that's kenneled or leashed. I usually do this for three or four days. Then I progress to the dog not kenneled or on leash, go out and play with the dog with the rifle in hand and try to distance yourself from the pup, then fire into the ground, $100 says he runs up to you to see what he just missed out on. Couple of days of that and then repeat process with 12g. After he's retrieving, have someone stand around the corner, toss the dummy out, fire in the air. Then give your retrieve command to go fetch.

There's various variations of this of course, and every dog is a little different. What kind of dog are you looking at? My labs have picked up on this quick, and within about 2 weeks, they were sitting next to me while shooting a 12g into the air calm as can be. So about 10-12 weeks old depending on pup's bring home date.
This is a close form of introducing gunfire I've used for seveeral dogs over the years. I like to take a pump gun at feeding time and pump the gun a time or two while pup is feeding. Starting with the .22 rimfire in rifle form not pistol is a good idea and never look at the dog or show any reaction to a shot.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Good info ^^^ from the last two posts. If you just don’t have the time or resources to get them in the field immediately, we used to bang a couple pots or pans together while the pup was feeding. Starting off soft until you can bang them pretty hard. Most pups won’t even look at you if you start off softly. Take a few days of this . Seemed to work well on a couple of my dogs.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad would make a retrieve toy surrounded by Quail feathers and would play with a pup to get them to go get it and bring it back. After that, he had a toy gun that was just like a lever action BB gun, but all it did was make a little poping noise. He would have me pull the trigger as the "bird" was in the air. We would then go out to the country and play the same game with a .22 rifle. Then a light loaded ..410. That usually did the trick.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training the versatile hunting dog by chuck johnson talks about this process, and is followed by many. I highly suggest it. I actually just finished the book. If you wanna borrow it you’re more than welcome to. Starting with loud noises like banging pans when they’re eating is a great way to start, and working your way up from there is best. Starts at birth and goes from there. The earlier and more cautious the better. Being scared of gunshots isn’t as easy to untrain.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started all of my Brittneys by bringing the dog about 1/4 mile from a trap/skeet range with snacks and their toy they learned to retrieve in the yard.
When someone fires, throw the dummy and give the dog a treat when they bring it back.
Repeat until the dog looks comfortable, move closer to the range and repeat.
Four britts have successfully been trained that way.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a small pup that ran to the far end of 80 acres when I shot my 12 gauge at some birds.
I finally got to the dog and it was trembling but that is too bad.

I had some table salt loads for my 12 gauge to bust birds in tight brush while sitting in tight brush.
I held that dog between my legs and busted a bird and the pup tried to get away.

I carried it to the shot bird and ripped out the breast and let it smell the liver and heart.
It got a different perspective as it ate the liver and heart and I gave it the breast.

You could not pick up a gun without that dog on your heels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom