Dogs and Gunfire Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training the versatile hunting dog by chuck johnson talks about this process, and is followed by many. I highly suggest it. I actually just finished the book. If you wanna borrow it you’re more than welcome to. Starting with loud noises like banging pans when they’re eating is a great way to start, and working your way up from there is best. Starts at birth and goes from there. The earlier and more cautious the better. Being scared of gunshots isn’t as easy to untrain.
Friend has a mutt that is deathly afraid of the sight of a gun, not just the noise. He will try to dig a hole through the concrete basement floor of the lodge if someone walks in with a gun visible. Owner has tried and tried to get him comfortable with guns, but he is not about to buy in to those guns.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend has a mutt that is deathly afraid of the sight of a gun, not just the noise. He will try to dig a hole through the concrete basement floor of the lodge if someone walks in with a gun visible. Owner has tried and tried to get him comfortable with guns, but he is not about to buy in to those guns.
My cousin had one like that.
Finally figured it put when he seen a neighbor kid shooting the dog with Red Ryder.

A couple of pics on phone, a serious talk with the Lil Chit's Dad and half of them problem was solved.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a small pup that ran to the far end of 80 acres when I shot my 12 gauge at some birds.
I finally got to the dog and it was trembling but that is too bad.

I had some table salt loads for my 12 gauge to bust birds in tight brush while sitting in tight brush.
I held that dog between my legs and busted a bird and the pup tried to get away.

I carried it to the shot bird and ripped out the breast and let it smell the liver and heart.
It got a different perspective as it ate the liver and heart and I gave it the breast.

You could not pick up a gun without that dog on your heels.
When you shot and the pup ran to the far end 80 acres did you say Dog Gone???? I had some table salt loads for my 12 gauge to bust birds in tight brush while sitting in tight brush. When you did this bird busting did you pepper them with the salted load? This sounds a little salty to me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you did this bird busting did you pepper them with the salted load? This sounds a little salty to me.
I did not say Dog Gone! but that would have been funny.

The salt does not penetrate the feathers at the range I shoot them it is more of a head shot deal or probably the wad killing them.
They look fully intact but are dead.
Zero recoil with table salt load.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not say Dog Gone! but that would have been funny.

The salt does not penetrate the feathers at the range I shoot them it is more of a head shot deal or probably the wad killing them.
They look fully intact but are dead.
Zero recoil with table salt load.
Thats what I thinking those sparrows dont take much salt.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s more or less how our weenie dog is. She will immediately leave the room if I’m just getting guns out for a hunting trip or if I’m putting my sidearm on for the day. But she’s 12, grumpy, and not big on the whole new tricks business so I leave her be on it.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a rescue dog a few years back that was extremely afraid of guns. It didn't matter if it was a handgun or a long gun if any of us brought one out his ears would go down and he'd look for somewhere to hide. He was a really, really, good dog and I hated to see that and imagine what drove him to react so strongly. Therefore, we always tried to avoid exposing him to any firearms because it was obviously just too traumatic for him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom