Dogs running deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where I usually hunt the deer have not been showing their faces.
I also have been rushed and barked at by 2 dogs when the wife was with me..I rushed towards the dogs barking and yelling at them and the dogs took off into the woods.

Later in the day one of them came up behind me as I walked past a pond. he came running and barking at me. I turned and raised my rifle and he split the scene.

A couple days later the dogs were back running deer trails..I yelled at them to go home and they gave me a blank stare.
I fired a shot between them and they scooted on their way.

Buddy seen a buck running full blast with head down and shot it on the run .. it skidded to a stop and piled up.
3 seconds later here come those dogs full blast at the deer from the same direction.

Unacceptable.
Wild or feral dogs or does someone own them.. who knows.

I never let my dogs run wild. I do not like it when people let cats do the same.. keep your critters on your own property.

That would explain the lack of deer sightings during the day. Never had dogs on this property. and was not hard to limit out early.
So scarce this year I have not shot one .. just shooting Coyotes thinking that was the issue.

So a handicapped guy that hunts it can have a better chance at a deer.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not knowing if they are feral dogs or pets I'll say first that I'd really hate to shoot someones family pet and I don't know the legalities but it would seem to me that if you were on your property (or property you had permission to be on) and you felt threatened that you'd be within your legal rights to defend yourself by shooting them......again I don't know the legalities.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know either that is why they get yelled at and warning shots tossed their way.
Eventually you would think they would get the picture.. if not then they may get ran over on a road or someone else can shoot them.
I did not see any collars on them.
They were that close to me.
One neighbor said he seen one of them trying to get into his chicken coop and ran it off by yelling at it and a few days later something got into the coop and killed all of his chickens.
He does not know what did it but it just tore them all up and slung parts just wanted to kill them.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing they are sort of expensive but one option would be to get a large coyote / dog size live trap and once trapped haul them to the animal shelter and let them deal with them however they choose......I know some shelters have different sizes of loaner traps which would save purchasing one.

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/removal/COY.html

Dog live trap.JPG

Last edited:

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like feral dogs to me. My dad had a similar problem with dogs getting into his emu chick pens & killing some of his 2 to 3 week old emu chicks.
One day we came home & saw 2 dogs in the pen, they both got some bullets sent their way.
Turned out they belonged to the neighbor about 3/4 mile away.
Another time 2 dogs showed up, one had a collar, (I think they were dropped off & abandoned) & one growled at my mom when she got out of her car. That it all it took, both of those dogs got bullets sent their way. I won't settle at all for a dog growling at my mom.

It's perfectly within your right to shoot a dog on your property if its acting in a threatening or predatory manner. (This info came from the County Sheriff when we reported the dogs that killed the emu chicks)

Coming up behind you & barking at you (threatening) & chasing and running off your deer (predatory).

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No dogs are allowed for big game in Oklahoma except for tracking wounded, BUT using dogs for hunting deer is legal in some states. I know it used to be in Arkansas when I lived there. Some people I guess don't mind the "gamey" taste of an animal that has gotten worked up. In my opinion the meat taste bad when the adrenaline is pumped up in an animal. I have passed a lot of shots on running deer because of that.
You didn't say where you were hunting but I know some people run dogs in SE Oklahoma. Most likely just pets or feral though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom