Dogs running deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have members of the same family on three sides of my lease. The dogs are usually not a problem but occasionally they like to visit the other houses. The shortest route is right through my lease. I’ve got them on cam more in years past and only once or twice this year. My son saw them crossing our place this year but we couldn’t shoot known pets.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have members of the same family on three sides of my lease. The dogs are usually not a problem but occasionally they like to visit the other houses. The shortest route is right through my lease. I’ve got them on cam more in years past and only once or twice this year. My son saw them crossing our place this year but we couldn’t shoot known pets.
The whole charging people is the thing for me!!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some states cover this pretty good. In my home state, if you saw a dog running deer, it was legal and expected to kill it on the spot. Not sure about OK though, but I wouldn't have given them a pass on my property. We even used to get together to hunt feral dogs on several hunting properties in the off season. It's sad that people dump them off and they have to fend for themselves, but we've eased the suffering of many over the years.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When someone posts up like the OP did about dog harassing wildlife like he describes I don't get why people say "I'd hate to shoot some ones pet". Too F'n bad!!! If the pets owners cared enough about their "pet" then the dog wouldn't be out chasing deer and causing problems with humans. Shoot the SOB the next time you see the dog doing what you describe. I have zero tolerance for rogue domesticated animals.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one pic of the neighbors dog on my game cam. Went over and had a friendly chat with them, and the dog hasn't been seen since. This little area is only 22 acres in the middle of a section. One dog passing through there can be pretty disruptive to the deer even if they aren't chasing them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got one pic of the neighbors dog on my game cam. Went over and had a friendly chat with them, and the dog hasn't been seen since. This little area is only 22 acres in the middle of a section. One dog passing through there can be pretty disruptive to the deer even if they aren't chasing them.
chootem!!
If a dog is on MY PLACE and around my cows, I tend to take the “chootem” approach, but if I encounter dogs on one of my lease places where I don’t know the surrounding neighbors, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and let them pass.

HOWEVER...if a dog acts aggressively towards me, then shame on him...:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom