Don’t laugh… wolves in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Back in the early 90's a trapper that had a contract to dispatch coyotes out on the Prairie Preserve before they brought the in bison, he trapped a wolf up there and brought it to my father to show us. He had it there with 4 coyotes and it was much larger. He was really surprised and scared, but my father told him that he need to contact the Game Warden. He eventually turned it over and was not sure what happened to it.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear about the Big Black Cats in the Ripley area 20 or so years ago?
I've heard that around Luther too...but I can tell you people decades ago mocked the folks that claimed there were mountain lions down by Mt Scott and it later came out to be true.

And BTW there are bears in Luther too...one severely injured a buddy's dog and he figured out it was a black bear.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only wild red wolf population is In eastern NC. I hunted a property near one of the release spots and was fortunate enough to see a breeding pair with cubs for about 20 seconds a few years back. The program itself is a pretty big failure on the whole. Mountain lions in OKlahoma are finally acknowledged. But any wolf sightings in OK would imo be big coyote, coydog, or released/lost wolf hybrids.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if there are wolves in southwestern OK or if there are bears and mountain lions in central Oklahoma but I'm not mad at anybody who thinks so. In any case, when I'm out in woods or pastures, I may not have a rifle but I'll always have the perfect handgun/ammo combo on me, just in case. 🙂

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We definitely have bears in central OK. One was shot right in the middle of Norman. It walked up the creek.
Probably using the river to migrate. We have had a documented bear sighting in NC Ok with pics of it up a power pole that was likely doing the same thing by using the Arkansas river. Most probably young males driven out of their home territory in search of their own.
Can't say that for sure as it's just speculation on my part, but it seems some of the Mountain lions killed in Ok have been young males. The one killed just south of me at Red Rock Ok had a collar that identified him as a male coming from South Dakota.

Latest posts

Top Bottom