Don Carlton Honda "sick and tired" of "homeless" causing problems (Tulsa)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do a little study on the origins of much of the proliferation of drugs. Hint, it’s a very small club whose members are in pursuit of the whole enchilada. Dig up that tree root and branch and burn it. Then you can start issuing harsh ultimatums with teeth. Those who refuse to productively accept assistance to get them into a better life will be dealt with much differently than those who are simply down on their luck. The ones who propagate the problem have a future in agricultural supplements...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to remember, some of these people are "professional" panhandlers. They aren't "homeless" or "druggies," they're con artists. You see these women and their kids on a corner with a sign that says "Need money to get to **********." They're families that move from city to city and state to state doing this. Many will arrive in a city, go sign up for welfare, then panhandle for hundreds of dollars a day.
We even saw this in Branson Mo. Lady an her kids were standing on a street corner with a big sign asking for donations to help bury her brother. Just an hour before we had a notification on the branson TV channel warning about scammers looking for funeral donations.
We were headed for a little Mexican joint for dinner so we sat by the front window to watch.
She raked in a pretty good sum of money in about an hour before some guy drove up in a two or three year old Lincon Continental to pick them up.
My takeaway from this situation is seeing the lessons being passed down to the 8-10 year old kids about their future. The panhandlers are training the next generation to live off panhandling vs getting a real job.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the vast majority of homeless people are either homeless because they made piss poor decisions and got into drugs heavily enough that it affected their ability to make proper decisions, thus being homeless. 2) THey are riddled with mental health issues and affect their ability to make rational decisions. Sure there is a small percentage that really want help and are down on their luck and just need a little boost. Unfortunately those are not the norm.

With this, the homeless that refuse any help and jsut want to live on the streets gte picked up and taken to a specialized facility for rehab or to get their mental health in order. No, they don't leave unless "healthy" again or have their chit squared away. Or, the ones that really want help and just a little boost to get back on their feet are taken in to a separate facility for as long as it takes to help them get back on their feet. Counselors and mentors are used for these individuals.

This is a 50,000 foot view of how I think it should go but in the end the 1100-1400 homeless in the greater Tulsa area shouldn't have more rights than the tax paying residents of Tulsa.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arbeit macht frei?
The irony of your reference is that no matter whether we're being compassionate or malicious, the solution to this problem will inevitably involve rounding people up by force and putting them in camps.

Preferably, said camps would act as temporary housing for people going through court-ordered rehab and mental health treatment with vocational training available so they could get back on their feet.

A program in Rhode Island uses a previously empty prison facility for this purpose, and they're seeing 93% follow up rates on their drug treatment plans. So at least 9 out of 10 of them stay off drugs after release and live reasonably normal lives.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So real basic question --- where should they go?
Anywhere but Oklahoma. I was homeless for a while when i got out of the Army, looking back mostly my fault no one to blame but i got off my ass and retired at 34 almost 39 now. People like that enjoy free ****! The people that don't want to be on the streets aren't these want drugs and free money.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I would do. I'd put up dedicated cameras at all intersections. Put in a monitoring system(s) to ticket anyone giving money/food/etc. to them. Also to arrest all the dealers dealing them drugs.

I figure when the Karens start getting a $1000 ticket for a first offense and $5000 for a second and $25,000 for a third would cut it down pretty quickly. The homeless druggies refuse legitimate help for one single reason.

Because they can.

Get rid of the enablers and the problem will fix itself. That's a cruel reality, but that's just how reality goes. When they move to other areas because intersections are too "dangerous" move the cameras there.

For those that think I'm full of it, I think I'm informed pretty well. I have first hand experience with a family member who still chooses this life style after almost 10 years. Others here probably do too or have had. :twocents:
This might be a good start, coupled with a public information campaign saying don't give to panhandlers, instead have a list of organizations to donate to that offer them help. The ones that want help will seek it out.
Of course some won't take advantage of legit help.

I suggest a book called The Glass Castle, it's a memoir about a woman growing up in a nomadic family. In the end her parents didn't want help, they figured living by dumpster diving was living by their wits, sticking it to the man.
Forcing people like that into housing or rehab isn't going to work.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First Avenue Bridge, Seattle Wa. A few miles from my old house and part of my daily commute. There were camps like this all over the city some going for miles.
I don't think most people know that it's as bad as that picture. And assume it's just isolated to a very few places. I was at that fish market in Seattle a few years and it was pretty bad.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First Avenue Bridge, Seattle Wa. A few miles from my old house and part of my daily commute. There were camps like this all over the city some going for miles.
So that picture is real? It almost looks like a postcard. You know, except for squaller that you can almost smell by sight of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom