Done with FedEx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ordered a small battery of Amazon for a rechargeable light. Originated in OKC. FedEx picked it up in OKC, now it is in Memphis Tennessee.
I've seen some weird stuff over the last 6-7 months. We had something that was shipped to us 2nd Day from Indiana. The next day it was in Tulsa. Apparently, that was too soon, so the next day it was in KC, then it went to Memphis, where it apparently ran down to Beale Street and went on a two-week bender before heading back to Tulsa by way of Lenexa.

It does say something about how normally reliable they have been that this event sticks out, though.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to manage a couple of shipping departments in my 20s. One of them was for a LOT of international customers.

DHL is the only company I would rather buy a plane ticket and get it there myself rather than risk turning anything over to their custody. I made a noticeable gross profit on our DHL shipments on insurance claims and we finally cancelled the account. One of the claims was for a package that I found the next day laying next to the drop box I put it in, run over multiple times, yet scanned into their system as delivery pending, haha.

For oversize items, I have had the best luck shipping via Greyhound. It is a little less convenient to go to the bus stop and pick up a package, but the cost for something like a large car part and the dependability has been fantastic in my experience.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FedEx "Ground" is virtually all Independent contractors, either single route or larger distributor routes(a company that hires drivers supplies them a truck to drive the companies routes).
FedEx Express is all Corporate FedEx drivers.
And yes, it seems like at times cant find a aircraft carrier sized package with a telescope, yet manage to get that thin envelope around the world in about 24hrs.
I can tell you first hand, I work for FedEx, have for 20yrs, however I just take care of the jet.....and sometimes it might be my fault because I cant get it fixed to get the freight to Mem in time...in that case , sorry, Ship, happens.
Lee for the win! Keep in mind folks, there isn't a sorting facility in OK so anything shipped via FedEx from OKC is likely going to Memphis then coming back. Always been that way except over the years they've added a few sorting facilities in other states like CA. Any package going from/to CA will stay in CA and not go to Memphis.

Express is much more reliable and more expensive. Ground uses contractors and those are generally less competent than Express drivers. But, if you want something shipped that's bigger/heavier, you'll have to use Ground.

If your package goes to 47 different cities in 6 states before getting to you, it's most likely you selected the least expensive option which is generally SmartPost which means FedEx picks up your package but then handed off to USPS. Your tracking will show going in/out of USPS facilities.

FedEx IT employee 17 years. Best friend is an Express driver with 32 years. Another good friend works the airport ramp and been there about 25 years.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our "Summer" job has us sending in hard drives with data just about every week. Generally, they are always shipped via FedEx 2-day shipping, but occasionally they are shipped overnight. This year has been really atrocious as to delivery times, regardless of who is the carrier. One week, we had to send via USPS because there wasn't any FedEx ship centers near us. It was supposed to be a 2-day delivery, but took 5 days.

At present, our last drives were sent overnight FedEx, and the package has been in Memphis for over a day. They were shipped from Birmingham around 1:00 pm on Monday after we completed our work here. As of this morning, it is still in Memphis. We can't leave until the office gets the drives and verifies that the data is good.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More fun, at least blamed on FedEx. Just got this email a few minutes ago.

295FC378-D9B8-4BB7-A068-FFEC36A68B1E.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And another email from a company I made an online purchase. Actually, I made 2 purchase the same day, 1 order shipped FedEx promptly and I received it. The other is related to the email below.

0136A9E4-9016-4327-8DBD-DCF061FC6CED.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom