Don't want to lose my range...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is her dog afraid of thunder? Fireworks? Did this just come on or has it always been anxious when you shoot? Exactly how does the dog react? Does it cower and shake in a corner or try to hide, or does it become hyperactive and bark and try to run away? What kind of dog is it and how old? Obedience trained? Leash trained?

There is are ways to desensitize her dog to your shooting, but it requires effort on your part as well as hers. Just kinda depends on if you guys are willing to put in the work. And I'm not passing judgement at all -- if she really does just prefer to take the dog and leave when you shoot then there is no reason to work up a game plan to deal with the dog's sensitivity.

If you are interested in teaching the dog that noise is not a threat, you should probably do some legwork before you approach her about doing some training. You can PM me if you'd like and we'll see if I can help.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try and be as accommodating as possible to her, meaning I don't see me asking her to try and train her dog to accommodate me. The dog is a yellow lab and basically shakes and cowers under her legs when I shoot. She says she's afraid of what it might do (on the carpet) if I'm shooting and she's alone so.... I'm going to go ahead and try the double blue barrel approach mentioned here and on another forum. It seems like a good place to start and something I can afford to do.

Bolt two 55 gal blue barrels together and line the inside with foam egg crate material or similar. A buddy said look for the barrels that don't have lids but are just enclosed. If anyone has access to any of these, or knows a reasonable place to purchase, please let me know. Curious if anyone has tried this how far from the barrel, or inside it, should the rifle be?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say start the suppressor thing right now and shoot elsewhere until you have your guns suppressed.
Might just ask her to tell you when she's going to be away and you will do your shooting then so it won't bother her or the dog. Having someone allow you to shoot on their land is rare, so I would take care not to screw it up.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand. You moved out of town to shoot on someone else's land. Now she doesn't want you to shoot by her house. Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to try and be as accommodating as possible to her, meaning I don't see me asking her to try and train her dog to accommodate me. The dog is a yellow lab and basically shakes and cowers under her legs when I shoot. She says she's afraid of what it might do (on the carpet) if I'm shooting and she's alone so.... I'm going to go ahead and try the double blue barrel approach mentioned here and on another forum. It seems like a good place to start and something I can afford to do.

Bolt two 55 gal blue barrels together and line the inside with foam egg crate material or similar. A buddy said look for the barrels that don't have lids but are just enclosed. If anyone has access to any of these, or knows a reasonable place to purchase, please let me know. Curious if anyone has tried this how far from the barrel, or inside it, should the rifle be?

I wasn't expecting her to train her dog to accommodate you. I guess it sounded to me from your post that you and she were good enough friends that you might be able to help with the behavioral problem you described so she wouldn't feel like the only choice she had was to leave the house when you shoot.

I apologize. My mistake.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another one from the internet. This is the idea but I was thinking two barrels, maybe one would do it. I have that same chrony also....
i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv5_qvideo_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20160928_144348_959_1_zpsinkxaiyr.jpg

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting her to train her dog to accommodate you. I guess it sounded to me from your post that you and she were good enough friends that you might be able to help with the behavioral problem you described so she wouldn't feel like the only choice she had was to leave the house when you shoot.

I apologize. My mistake.
No problem, I would just feel bad asking her to go out of her way in any fashion to accommodate me. I already feel bad that she said she took the dog and left yesterday. I'm not real close friends with her, we talk from time to time but no regular visits. I've known my buddy since childhood and she was the mean step mother back then, she's mellowed a ton since then. I'm going to work the suppressor angle at the same time as the barrel job.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand. You moved out of town to shoot on someone else's land. Now she doesn't want you to shoot by her house. Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

Yep. You are inconveniencing her now, so the answer is to just find someplace else to shoot. It's the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shooting through a barrel will help the sound for the dog. Your ears will HATE it. Just find another place to shoot.

Problem solved.

Like I said, I can drive an hour to go shoot. Kind of hard when now I walk out my back door and have my shooting table and everything right in front of me. Much easier devising a method to quite things a bit and to stay where I am, IMHO anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom