Don't want to lose my range...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. You are inconveniencing her now, so the answer is to just find someplace else to shoot. It's the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess before I lived here I was shooting once every 2-3 weeks as opposed to weekly now. I'm going to remain hopeful that I can quell the noise to the point it doesn't bother the dog. If not, last resort, I give up my private little range.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem, I would just feel bad asking her to go out of her way in any fashion to accommodate me. I already feel bad that she said she took the dog and left yesterday. I'm not real close friends with her, we talk from time to time but no regular visits. I've known my buddy since childhood and she was the mean step mother back then, she's mellowed a ton since then. I'm going to work the suppressor angle at the same time as the barrel job.

Lol, I was a mean step mom, too.:rotflmao: You might try stopping by every once in a while just to say hi, pet the dog, let her know how much you appreciate her letting you shoot on her land and ask if there is anything you can do for her in return. :twocents: Who knows, you might find these a pretty good gal.

The suppressor sounds like a great idea. We have several. They are pretty danged cool!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, if it is causing her some kind of grief, you find a way to mitigate it drastically, or you shoot somewhere else. It's just the right thing to do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Teach the dog to not be gun shy. When I shoot at my home range, my two dogs clamor at the door to get out and see what I shot.
Breaking a dog to not be gun-shy is not the easiest thing to do, but it is doable with time and patients.
I do agree with the others though with this caveat. She may be using the dog as a partial excuse as she doesn't like gunfire that close to the house either and is being diplomatic in leaving.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can also get plastic drums (barrels), which would help with sound absorption. You could bolt the drum to your shooting table (use wingnuts for easy removal), with an extra leg on the end if needed for additional support.

An oval or rectangle cutout just large enough to accomodate your firing and sight line should cut waaay down on noise toward the target area.

Just make sure the tip of your gun barrel is even with (or slightly inside) the open end of the drum, and shoot through the cutout at the other end.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with burk, you are inconviencing her when she is being generous to you. You could buy the dog something like a thunder estosee if that calms him down, but if I wa sin her shoes I would probably tell you to kick rocks if you gave me that.

I would say go out to 150yards and see if that helps any and work your way in until it doesn't bother her dog, you could also start the suppressor paper work now and have it next spring...

Latest posts

Top Bottom