Don't want to lose my range...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is nice but probably much more expensive and extensive than I could swing.....
i13.tinypic.com_2rcssr9.jpg

You don't have to be this elaborate with your setup. Pick up about 8-10 used tires of the same size along with a bag of 1/4" nuts and bolts. Some chain tire shops will give you the tires if you tell them what you are doing with them, and tell them that they can shove a knife through the side wall, if they would like.

Build a carriage for the tires out of some used lumber and bolt the tires together as you set them in place. The inner walls of the tires create a baffle system, like a jolly green giant sized suppressor. You will be surprised how much it quiets your shots.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few harsher comments than expected but.....I've shot on this land for over 5 years, with permission, so it's not new to her. The only thing that has changed is the frequency. Love those who always throw that crap out there like, "Buy your own land". If I was able to do that do you NOT think I would have already done it? If you can't give any constructive criticism that actually helps please just refrain...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few harsher comments than expected but.....I've shot on this land for over 5 years, with permission, so it's not new to her. The only thing that has changed is the frequency. Love those who always throw that crap out there like, "Buy your own land". If I was able to do that do you NOT think I would have already done it? If you can't give any constructive criticism that actually helps please just refrain...

You have to expect the harsh comments, since bottom line is it's not your land. My neighbor up the street owns 80 acres of mixed woods and shrubland, and for years a family friend who lived nearby would hunt deer on it each fall. He used a bow, so there wasn't any issue with noise. One year, the neighbor decided to lease the land for grazing, so the hunter was told he couldn't till the land for food plots or do any other modifications - only the guy leasing the land could do that. The hunter pitched a fit until he was reminded he didn't own the land, and wasn't paying any money to hunt there. He then offered to pay for a hunting lease, but apparently he'd caused too much of a stink that he burned that bridge in a big way.

By all means try to work out an amicable solution, but keep in mind who owns the land. Their wants and needs come first on their property so long as no other parties are being injured. Heck, I live on a little bit of acreage in an unincorporated area, but my neighbors are close enough that I don't discharge anything larger than a pellet gun on my property. Instead, I drive an hour to an outdoor range. Sometimes you just have to deal ;)

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to expect the harsh comments, since bottom line is it's not your land. My neighbor up the street owns 80 acres of mixed woods and shrubland, and for years a family friend who lived nearby would hunt deer on it each fall. He used a bow, so there wasn't any issue with noise. One year, the neighbor decided to lease the land for grazing, so the hunter was told he couldn't till the land for food plots or do any other modifications - only the guy leasing the land could do that. The hunter pitched a fit until he was reminded he didn't own the land, and wasn't paying any money to hunt there. He then offered to pay for a hunting lease, but apparently he'd caused too much of a stink that he burned that bridge in a big way.

By all means try to work out an amicable solution, but keep in mind who owns the land. Their wants and needs come first on their property so long as no other parties are being injured. Heck, I live on a little bit of acreage in an unincorporated area, but my neighbors are close enough that I don't discharge anything larger than a pellet gun on my property. Instead, I drive an hour to an outdoor range. Sometimes you just have to deal ;)
I will do everything I can to accommodate her and her dog. I still have a good relationship with her and will work to keep it. She's already been more accommodating to me than she needs to be, and I realize that. I've discussed more with her on the phone and she's open to me trying to quell the noise with the barrel idea. I'll push ahead with that and if it's not enough I'll find another place to shoot, until I can get a suppressor at least.

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm certainly not trying to be harsh in my comments. If I was, please accept my apology. First, I think you are one lucky guy to have a neighbor that allows you to shoot on her property located so close to you. This is a blessing and she must be a super lady and you must be a pretty good guy for her to let you do it.
I'm just thinking how I would not screw up a bird nest on the ground. I would do anything I had to do to make sure she's happy. Buying a suppressor is number one. Start today. The cost is cheaper than buying land. Putting up sound buffers is another but I would make sure I could move it to the spot I'm shooting from rather than putting a permanent structure on her property. That might be going too far. It would take a little effort to move it every time you want to shoot, but worth it to be the perfect neighbor.
I wish I had the same set up. I have to drive a couple of miles to where I setting up my range on my sisters property. It would be great to just walk outside and shoot.
Good luck and good shooting.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm certainly not trying to be harsh in my comments. If I was, please accept my apology. First, I think you are one lucky guy to have a neighbor that allows you to shoot on her property located so close to you. This is a blessing and she must be a super lady and you must be a pretty good guy for her to let you do it.
I'm just thinking how I would not screw up a bird nest on the ground. I would do anything I had to do to make sure she's happy. Buying a suppressor is number one. Start today. The cost is cheaper than buying land. Putting up sound buffers is another but I would make sure I could move it to the spot I'm shooting from rather than putting a permanent structure on her property. That might be going too far. It would take a little effort to move it every time you want to shoot, but worth it to be the perfect neighbor.
I wish I had the same set up. I have to drive a couple of miles to where I setting up my range on my sisters property. It would be great to just walk outside and shoot.
Good luck and good shooting.
Thanks, and yes, I do realize how good I have it. Heck, I'd go give her foot rubs if I thought it'd help. My wife might not appreciate it but....With the blue barrel approach I'll be able to port it out the where I'll be shooting so no permanent structures. We'll see.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, and yes, I do realize how good I have it. Heck, I'd go give her foot rubs if I thought it'd help. My wife might not appreciate it but....With the blue barrel approach I'll be able to port it out the where I'll be shooting so no permanent structures. We'll see.
Like I said, you must be a pretty good guy for her to let you shoot. You'll work it out no doubt.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said, you must be a pretty good guy for her to let you shoot. You'll work it out no doubt.
You remarks weren't harsh, there was a poster that said I needed to respect land ownership and buy my own, as if I was doing something disrespectful to her....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom