Dove Hunting Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a questions about dove hunting. My wife's cousin has a large ranch just outside the Sapulpa City limits. It is the ranch we hunt deer on during the season. THey have quite a bit of water on the property as most of the southern shoreline of Sapulpa Reservoir is their property line. The shoreline has a lot of little fingers and inlets off the main lake area where I would think the dove may water in the late afternoon. It's a beautiful property but there has not been any food source or other ways to attract dove to the property. Plus I've spent very little time in Sapulpa in September to see what dove opportunity there may be. I'll be in Sapulpa permanently starting about August 24th or so. Is there anything that can be done that is not permenent to the property that will attract dove to the area? I've dove hunted once in college in the cushing area and loved it but the fields were setup specifically for the hunt. What can you recommend, if anything?

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do a food plot, do it near some high line wires. And, a few weeks before the season, if possible, till up 20-30 feet on the edge of the plot. Put the decoys on the tilled dirt. A piece of rebar laying on the dirt with clipped on decoys has worked many times for me. But I’ve done this trick in the corner of a Bermuda pasture where there’s wild sunflowers on the neighboring fence row.

Also, if you put in the effort, and don’t see results early in the season, don’t get discouraged. They’re migrating birds. They move around. They may show up the last weekend. They may not be around until December. The past few years, I’ve shot more December doves than September birds. And you’re not sweating your balls off!

William74037

New to the site!
Reaction score
Have a questions about dove hunting. My wife's cousin has a large ranch just outside the Sapulpa City limits. It is the ranch we hunt deer on during the season. THey have quite a bit of water on the property as most of the southern shoreline of Sapulpa Reservoir is their property line. The shoreline has a lot of little fingers and inlets off the main lake area where I would think the dove may water in the late afternoon. It's a beautiful property but there has not been any food source or other ways to attract dove to the property. Plus I've spent very little time in Sapulpa in September to see what dove opportunity there may be. I'll be in Sapulpa permanently starting about August 24th or so. Is there anything that can be done that is not permenent to the property that will attract dove to the area? I've dove hunted once in college in the cushing area and loved it but the fields were setup specifically for the hunt. What can you recommend, if anything?
You can till a field close to these fingers then do a burn a few days before opening day then plant your seeds for wheat etc.best to have a wheat field already planted then do a burn right after it's cut they will flock in by the hundreds of you do that. You can call who does that for wildlife dept up on Keystone WMA they do it every year for the hunters for dove season.. just call the wildlife dept they can out you into who can help you. I am just trying to find a place to go this year been a long time since I have got to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom