Dove Nests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today while moving some cattle there were 6 or 7 doves that suddenly flew up from the grass. They all flew with the broken wing act as to draw a predator away from where they were. I got to looking on the ground and there were 4 nests each with 2 little doves in each one. I've always assumed they nested in tress like they do in the ones around my house. Found it odd that the nests were so close together. If a predator was to find one it surely will find the others. First time I've seen dove nests on the ground in my 52 years of being outside. Anyone else seen them do this?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today while moving some cattle there were 6 or 7 doves that suddenly flew up from the grass. They all flew with the broken wing act as to draw a predator away from where they were. I got to looking on the ground and there were 4 nests each with 2 little doves in each one. I've always assumed they nested in tress like they do in the ones around my house. Found it odd that the nests were so close together. If a predator was to find one it surely will find the others. First time I've seen dove nests on the ground in my 52 years of being outside. Anyone else seen them do this?

Interesting. Did you get any pics?

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Never seen them nest on the ground before....new to me.....interesting to say the least

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a pair that nests in the cross arms of the basketball goal behind the house. My wife said the other day we need to trash the goal since the hail busted the plexiglass backboard, then today she said noooo.
Our pair is back and have finished the nest, mama perched.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not. It was drizzling and foggy and left my phone in the truck. I might go back by there tomorrow and I'll try to. I did some googling and did read where mourning doves will nest on the ground.
08c0222c480c452c7c864d6452416db9.jpg

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have walked up on a few dove nests on the ground down in Harmon county when turkey hunting. Just assumed that it was because there weren't many trees, except the huge cottonwoods and the thorny mesquite trees. Cottonwoods would attract hawks because of the height.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll flush up dozens of them when cutting wheat. How they find their nest each day in 100a plus, uncut, waving wheat field I have no idea lol. We have several nesting in the tree row along the north side of my house right now though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom