Dove Reports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my wireless connection back so I can post pics.
Saturday hunt, bagged 14 birds with the sweet 16.

Tonight, had a couple of guests come for the hunt. Deer Slayer, and Huckleberry75 helped thin out the flock.
Good hunt. Tons of birds. I made the call to leave the feed field, and move to a pond that had lots of birds a few days back, but tonight, only a few decided to drop in. A few paid the price, but it was a tactical error on my part. We should have stayed in the feed field, and would have limited out. We ended up with a nice group of birds. The count was around 38 birds.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a good hunt for sure with lots of birds. Don't be hard on yourself Dennis. I would have moved to the pond too. We had fun and that was all that mattered. Those doves are gonna be good slow cooked with mushroom soup over rice. Grilled dove with bacon and a cocktail onion is great too. Thanks again.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dove season has sucked. I have taken my family out hunting Friday through Monday and haven't seen a bird.

Public land in Wagoner sucks, this morning I am on Cimmaron river unit by Manford and it sucks.

Unless you have private land to hunt on you can't hunt. I have talked to several land owners in a few areas and they won't let a man and his wife and teenager hunt.

I guess I am through doing something I love doing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have been hunting disastered corn fields cut for silage in NC OK, lots of birds and great fun. Didnt realize that a dove could pick up a an entire corn kernal. Birds have been packed full of corn and canola seed.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any of you guys that hunt around Morris and want to do another trip later in the season, keep me in mind. i usually go back but usually not enough guys in the field to move the birds.

I'm going to try to make it to the South fields this evening if anyone is interested. Seems like they've been flying a lot better there for the afternoon hunts. I'll be in a silver Nissan Titan. Come say hi!

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We went on the opening day, 5 of us killed a total of 68 doves and a bonus (Pigeon)! We were hunting on a public and did really good.

Just curious - were you at Lex? In the field across the road from me, I saw what looked like a white pigeon take flight from a tree and disappeared behind a treeline, then heard a gunshot. I can't be sure it was a white pigeon, but it looked larger than a dove and definitely wasn't gray. Are pigeons good eating? I'd be afraid they grew up in the city eating french fries and hamburgers.

It was a good hunt for sure with lots of birds. Don't be hard on yourself Dennis. I would have moved to the pond too. We had fun and that was all that mattered. Those doves are gonna be good slow cooked with mushroom soup over rice. Grilled dove with bacon and a cocktail onion is great too. Thanks again.

Curious - do you guys take the meat off the breast before you cook it?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nearly skunked at Lex this AM....didn't see a single dove but one tree rat decided to try and sneak up on us...he's soaking in the fridge right now.

Bunch of horseback riders out there today.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nearly skunked at Lex this AM....didn't see a single dove but one tree rat decided to try and sneak up on us...he's soaking in the fridge right now.

Bunch of horseback riders out there today.

Those folks have been there the whole weekend. Do you use the same shot on dove as on squirrles?

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious - were you at Lex? In the field across the road from me, I saw what looked like a white pigeon take flight from a tree and disappeared behind a treeline, then heard a gunshot. I can't be sure it was a white pigeon, but it looked larger than a dove and definitely wasn't gray. Are pigeons good eating? I'd be afraid they grew up in the city eating french fries and hamburgers

Yes that was us. I think you was the guy that tried to talk to me when I got down to the road and waited for my 3 friends to come from the park? Was that you? My other friend and I sat together and that strange white bird, flying like as dove and tried to landing right next to our dove mojos and we were like huh is that a dove, then I said it looks like an albino dove or possible an Eurasian Collared Dove? As soon as that it near landed onto the ground, I decided to shot it and we were confused for a bit it looks like a hybrid of Eurasian Collared and Pigeon? Weird? It tastes no different just same as dove.

My most favorite way to cook dove is put the breasts into bowl of Italian Dress marinades for overnight then cut thinly on both side of breasts to put strip of jalapeno, then cut half bacon and warp the bacon onto whole breast, install a toothpick then put back into bowl with italian dress for another 30 minutes then grill them for about 15-20 min. It is really simple and very delicious.

ai1047.photobucket.com_albums_b473_okbowhntr_IMG_20110902_202722.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom