Dove Reports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Where are you hunting? I had thought about getting out this weekend, but didnt know how the bird counts were

Lexington. I went out again this morning and between 7am and 10:30, saw a grand total of 4 birds. Was able to down two of them. They just were not flying at all this morning. I've been out the last 3 days and think I'm just going to wait a week or so before heading out again, and maybe the numbers will be up.

Day before yesterday, I did see about a dozen turkeys on the field I was at right when I pulled up. First time I've seen turkeys on the WMA itself...was beginning to think they were just a myth out there.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See any squirrels while you were down at Lex Sooner?

I might take my boy down there on Monday for a shot at some dove, but figured we might try to bag a few tree rats while we're at it.

Outside

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We didn't have much at all going on down in Morris this morning. I shot the only two birds that came my way. Couple of fields were great but not places I had access too. I think thursday and friday made them a little weary.

Does anyone know if you need a waterfowl stamp for rail? It is considered a marsh bird but I'm not sure if they consider it waterfowl here in Okie land. Saw a bunch of rail and but was afraid to take any. You never know when your going to get a surprise visit.

RAMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it just me, or did it seem like there were a lot more young birds than usual?

There also were a lot more birds than I expected during a drought-- maybe the northern birds are already passing through?

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guess that front heading this way didn't do a whole lot for the numbers yet, huh? Should be passing through north central into central OK this evening. Maybe if it brews up some storms it'll make the birds a bit more active. I thought about giving it one more go this evening, but then for sure I will be done until next weekend.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may get out there tomorrow or monday. At least i can suck up the nice weather. Yere are tons of turkeys out there. They are just smarter than hell. Once it gets cold they will get into thier winter flock. Its awesome to see that many turkeys together.

Ill keep an eye out for tree rats also and ill let you know

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one of the best opening days ever. Limited out at 7:10 shooting 58 shells. Did not hit the birds coming right at me and those are usually my easy shots.

i think everyone in the field limited out.

To answer your question on how early to get there, it depends, on opening morning with a lot of guys in the field, get there 1 hr to 45 minutes before shooting time to get the spot i want. other than opening day, arrive a little before daylight. in the evenings, i get out around 3 to 4 and they usually are thru flying around 7. one time i found a pond they were using in the evening and that was a lot of fun.

When i have gone out on a sat following the opening day (week day) i have never had very many birds to shoot at so i don't even bother any more. Years ago on the Amish land, they did not want you hunting on Sundays. So if opening day was Saturday, you could have basically two opening days back to back.

it would be great to know someone in the area that could report when birds come in during the season. i would pay extra for this info.

really enjoy dove hunting. great shooting, fast, and nothing quite like it.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any of you guys that hunt around Morris and want to do another trip later in the season, keep me in mind. i usually go back but usually not enough guys in the field to move the birds.

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to a place near beggs. Lots of birds flying, 7 in the bag for me, 10 for my friend. I could have limited if I was a better shot. Tapered off after 9:00, but there were still a few fltying around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom