Downtown Tulsa residents concerned about encounters with the homeless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://ktul.com/news/local/downtown-residents-concerned-about-encounters-with-the-homeless
Frightening encounters with the homeless is something more and more residents in the downtown area are experiencing.

If it comes as a surprise that the woman sitting on the porch swing doesn't live at this house, then you know exactly how Mary Loveless felt.

"Yeah, it's been pretty scary," she said.

With a home located just down the street from John 3:16 and about 50 yards from a homeless encampment, Loveless had to call the police three times last year for incidents just like this.

"Someone just kind of comes on to my front porch, they’re usually like a homeless person, might have some sort of mental disorder, and then I have to call the police to come and kind of get them off my property," she said.

"One time we arrested someone, one time we called an ambulance to come and assist this person cause they were having some medical issue," said Captain Richard Meulenberg of Tulsa Police Department.

The camp is located right next to the Inner Dispersal Loop, which could, if it is state property, basically tie the hands of TPD from doing anything.

"We can’t enforce certain ordinances that are like adjacent to the highway. That was always kind of an issue that we had because those are really state highways, and what is our jurisdictional level? So you’ll see, and look, people who are experiencing homelessness, they know where to go. That’s why you see them in the same place. People say, 'Well, why aren’t the cops doing anything?' Because that little piece of sovereign land that they might be on really falls in a weird area of who can go in there and force them out," said Cpt. Meulenberg.

Folks who choose encampments are also a challenge for the people who offer help through John 3:16.

"What can we do about it? We keep trying to outreach. In my case, I can’t come up and cuff people and make them stay at John 3:16, nobody can," said Rev. Steve Whitaker.

Loveless has lived in the area for two years and says lately the problem has gotten worse.

"There’s been a lot of instances lately of just more and more violence it seems like, more and more people kind of screaming, yelling to where myself, and I know a couple of my neighbors, don’t feel exactly safe," she said.

"What I would highly recommend is that this homeowner reaches out to us," said Becky Gligo.

One possible option is Housing Solutions, a coalition of 30 agencies working on homelessness that will send out a team to talk to the campers.

"We have an outreach request form, and we can generally get a team out there within the workday and a few hours or within 24 hours if it's overnight or on the weekend to engage with these folks, start working on a housing plan," she said.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was fairly bad 3 years ago when we had a commuter apartment by the OSU building near downtown. I sure as hell wouldnt walk through there.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was fairly bad 3 years ago when we had a commuter apartment by the OSU building near downtown. I sure as hell wouldnt walk through there.
I laugh when I see these young women jogging down Archer at 5AM. These new residents of the trendy new apartments in the riot district really have no clue.

I've worked down here for almost 22 years...it's a zoo.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I laugh when I see these young women jogging down Archer at 5AM. These new residents of the trendy new apartments in the riot district really have no clue.

I've worked down here for almost 22 years...it's a zoo.
Oh yeah, ours wasnt a trendy spot haha. It was the cheapest we could find to have somewhere to stay on the nights we had to work late or early enough meetings we didnt want to commute from OKC. We couldnt check our mail for two days because someone was shot and stabbed right in front of our mailbox and it was roped off.

But yeah, this younger generation that grew up in the security of their affluent homes with helicopter parents have the danger awareness of a 3yo. It is incredibly unfortunate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom