Downtown Tulsa residents concerned about encounters with the homeless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to get FAR worse.
That is a truism, there is no doubt that homelessness will increase, crime of all kinds, child abuse-you name it. People's lives are going to be changed dramatically with the political decisions made in Washington DC as well as some cities.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's going to get FAR worse.
True. And one thing nobody has mentioned is the role legalized pot has played.
with the political decisions made in Washington DC as well as some cities.
I've seen similar phenomena in other cities/states. California. Colorado. Oregon.

Viz. a surge in "homelessness" which dovetails legalization of marijuana. The empirical evidence is such that a connection cannot be denied.

And, yes, it's going to get worse.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or a symptom of people just getting fed up with paid law enforcement not doing the simplest of their jobs. In some cases, handling it their selves makes sure a job gets done in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
That is so true, even now on the news one can hear about home invasions and the victim suddenly isn't the victim because they have to protect themselves. The cops are 15 minutes away and seconds count-even if they do arrive and it's always after the incident.

Last edited:

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Yeah, Reagan cut back funding for mental illness around 1981. That and the war on drugs with out substance abuse treatment swelled our prison system."

The idea that homelessness is largely the fault of Reagan and heartless Republicans cutting mental health funding is a myth the Left has created to cover its own culpability. Truth is, the big driver of our current situation was the passage of the Medicaid Act way back in 1965. (Pushed through by LBJ and two Democrat-controlled branches of Congress.) The Medicaid Act incentivized States to move patients out of mental hospitals and into nursing homes and residential settings because the program excluded coverage for people in “institutions for mental diseases.”

Movies like "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" and a few scattered but very highly publicized incidents of maltreatment of institutionalized patients, combined with lawsuits by presumably well-intentioned but naive activists demanding that the mentally ill be "mainstreamed" forced the closure of most remaining in-patient mental health facilities over the next decade and a half, and their residents into communities where they typically struggled in the less regulated environment, were far more vulnerable to being preyed upon by the greedy and unscrupulous, and faced much greater exposure to illicit drugs. Plus, providing housing, meals, counseling, medical care, etc., in scattered residential settings drove costs to explode as compared to providing institutionalized care.

Yes, Reagan signed a bill that reducing Federal MH funding by 30% in 1981. But the system virtually guaranteeing that the seriously mentally ill would wind up as either criminals or their victims was already in place. Homelessness and incarcerations increased as much or more in States that fully replaced the share of former Federal mental health funding as in those that did so to lesser degrees.

The blame Reagan trope is just a way for liberals to avoid facing the consequences of their own well-intentioned but soft-headed policies.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Yeah, Reagan cut back funding for mental illness around 1981. That and the war on drugs with out substance abuse treatment swelled our prison system."

The idea that homelessness is largely the fault of Reagan and heartless Republicans cutting mental health funding is a myth the Left has created to cover its own culpability. Truth is, the big driver of our current situation was the passage of the Medicaid Act way back in 1965. (Pushed through by LBJ and two Democrat-controlled branches of Congress.) The Medicaid Act incentivized States to move patients out of mental hospitals and into nursing homes and residential settings because the program excluded coverage for people in “institutions for mental diseases.”

Movies like "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" and a few scattered but very highly publicized incidents of maltreatment of institutionalized patients, combined with lawsuits by presumably well-intentioned but naive activists demanding that the mentally ill be "mainstreamed" forced the closure of most remaining in-patient mental health facilities over the next decade and a half, and their residents into communities where they typically struggled in the less regulated environment, were far more vulnerable to being preyed upon by the greedy and unscrupulous, and faced much greater exposure to illicit drugs. Plus, providing housing, meals, counseling, medical care, etc., in scattered residential settings drove costs to explode as compared to providing institutionalized care.

Yes, Reagan signed a bill that reducing Federal MH funding by 30% in 1981. But the system virtually guaranteeing that the seriously mentally ill would wind up as either criminals or their victims was already in place. Homelessness and incarcerations increased as much or more in States that fully replaced the share of former Federal mental health funding as in those that did so to lesser degrees.

The blame Reagan trope is just a way for liberals to avoid facing the consequences of their own well-intentioned but soft-headed policies.
I’ll assume this is directed at me. I’m far from a liberal and don’t much care for some right wingers. I was born in late 71. Some of the first homelessness I saw was in the late 80’s early 90’s hitch hiking around California and the east coast. I don’t know where the decline started to really happen. It really shouldn’t be a political position. We all pay for these people to be locked up, released and re-locked up. As stated earlier in this thread though, cops usually leave these people to be because the law enforcement has become a business to generate revenue.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are breaking the law, they should be arrested. I think it's pretty much a free-for-all now since they all realize the police in Tulsa have no interest in doing their job. It's a chore just getting on to show up when there is a burglary in process. Then it's a pain to get them to actually arrest the person, they want to just drop them off a few blocks away. Then it's a pain to get the DA to do anything even if the entire event is on camera. The aggressive criminals amongst the homeless population in Tulsa are provided a safe haven by both TPD and the DA who appear to have absolutely no interest in doing their jobs.

Always tell police "I have a gun to protect myself and can detain them if necessary but I'd rather you all handle it if at all possible."

Mention a gun and they'll get there.

Bryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom