Draw to first shot times.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently took my CC class and have since been practicing my draw to first shot times. I shoot at a target 5 yards out and use the iPhone app for a timer.
I can hit 1.35 regularly using a crossbreed iwb holster at 4 o'clock. What are your tips for better times other than moving the holster around front like the skinny boys do.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's seems pretty quick if it's from concealment. Since your up in Tulsa you should get in on some of that IDPA action they have up there (if you're not already).

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's seems pretty quick if it's from concealment. Since your up in Tulsa you should get in on some of that IDPA action they have up there (if you're not already).

Thanks. It is from concealment. My grip is not consistant or perfect at that speed but the shot always manages to land in COM. I've been doing the same drill I was taught in class as well where you shoot 5 rounds with a hidden dummy and then change mags and fire 2 more. I'm down from 15 secs to 9 in just a couple weeks. Practice makes perfect!

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing the sights shouldn't take any longer if you're doing it right. The sights are there whether you look at them or not. You just have to condition your eyes to see them as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your trigger finger should already start the motion as soon as you start extending your arms from the draw stroke with the muzzle downrange. and the shot should happen once your arms are at full extension.

this is what's taught in the tactical handgun courses at ussa that i have taken. now in that respect you have to already have made the conscious decision to shoot which shouldnt be going through your head if you are already drawing the pistol. but either way it takes a little getting used to but in a life or death situation it may be the deciding factor you never know.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently took my CC class and have since been practicing my draw to first shot times. I shoot at a target 5 yards out and use the iPhone app for a timer.
I can hit 1.35 regularly using a crossbreed iwb holster at 4 o'clock. What are your tips for better times other than moving the holster around front like the skinny boys do.

Go get some Professional Training!!! I can't stress this enough!!!
Look at USSA and TDSA in Tulsa. Get the fundamentals down first!! before you go compete in IDPA or such, that way your not re-enforcing bad habits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom