Draw to first shot times.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Go get some Professional Training!!! I can't stress this enough!!!
Look at USSA and TDSA in Tulsa. Get the fundamentals down first!! before you go compete in IDPA or such, that way your not re-enforcing bad habits.

Why do you assume I havent?
I just completed the intermediate concealed carry course put on by the great guys and forum sponsors at carrylegal.com

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you assume I havent?
I just completed the intermediate concealed carry course put on by the great guys and forum sponsors at carrylegal.com

In your post above you said you had completed a CC class, not a Intermediate handgun class. that's why. A standard CC class does not go in depth on the Draw stroke.

Your on the right track!! Keep training!! and train with everyone you can.

One thing you might want to try on getting your first shot time a bit lower is to get a different holster. What I see with the Supper Tuck is most people can not get a FUll Firing grip on the gun wile its in the holster, the thumb will be on top of the slide and not wrapped around the gun. Make sure you can get a Full Firing grip on the gun wile its in the holster.

Train hard

ERIC FUSON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that fighting with a gun is about timing, not time. Accessing a weapon in fight is more about the unknown variables, such as the distance of the threat, the type of weapon the threat has (if any) and the number of possible threats at hand. Drawing and making an accurate shot is critical, however gunfights are dynamic not static. I would rather see a 3 second accurate shot on the move than a 1 second static draw. The standard i like is 3 shots at 3 yards in 3 seconds on the move. Try that and see how it works for you.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Self defense is not a quick draw competition.

The hell it's not. You're trying to shoot him before he kills you. A speedy draw coupled with an accurate shot beats the hell out of a slow draw and accurate shot.

Sometimes, draw speed is totally meaningless, but other times, it's literally the difference between life and death.

There are other dynamics to consider and take advantage of when possible. (having gun already in hand, leaving the area, etc)

Having a fast draw is not the "be all, end all," but it is prudent to have one.

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just practiced the drill in the above vid and WOW! Quickly I was using my weapon as an extension of my arm for the first 2 shots and the sights on the 3rd shot for one between the eyes. At first I was shooting way left then I learned to aim right until in saw the sights. I guess trigger slap is more pronounced from the hip, single handed. Anyway, try this drill folks! Eric, I'll work next on doing it moving. :)

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, Gabe Suarez. Apart from his misconduct, unwilling departure from his police department and criminal charges I really don't know much about him. Personally I'm not a fan of purposefuly aiming for the pelvic girdle or whatever for your first few shots. If it was me, I'd fire three rounds or so after I rotate the pistol so it's level and on target. Then run a 'vertical string' with a final round in the mustache/tip of the nose region, if the threat is still active. But hey, that's very humble opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom