Drawing the Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps some of you remember this thread where I told about changing my EDC to an N-frame S&W.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/a-change-in-edc.343783/page-4#post-3898223
After I made the switch, I resumed practicing drawing the gun, and a problem soon became evident. I was finding it exceedingly difficult to get the correct grip when I was drawing from the holster. The backstrap of the gun should, for me at least, rest just inside the second joint of the thumb, and when I started to practice my draw, it very often ended up between the first and second joint. I seriously thought of switching back to my 681.

Just by happenstance, I came upon something that really seems to have helped. If I lower the gun while I am drawing it a better grip is obtained. My thinking is that this allows a bit of extra time to shift the gun in the hand and acquire a better grip.

The goal is not blinding speed; rather, I reach for and draw the gun at about the same speed that I would take my fountain pen from my pocket.. It has been quite a while since I have done any shooting, and so I need to work with the gun and my rig, practicing drawing and dry firing the gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom