1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Drill and tap for scope?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Repairs' started by RickN, Feb 14, 2020.

1. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Anyone ever drill and tap an old 22 for a side mount scope base? If so, how difficult is it? I have my father's old Marlin 80DL that I am trying to make into a usable rifle. Loved my father but his idea of firearms cleaning and maintenance was "Fire another bullet and it will blow any dirt out of the barrel." The original sites are gone and the metal is pitted so I do not feel bad about making it usable again.

Anyway, I have a like new Weaver #2 side mount which fits the Marlin 80, just not the 80DL. I can use one of the old peep site holes for the rear of the mount but would need to drill and tap a new front hole.

Is the receiver on the pre WW2 22s very hard? Could I drill it with a hand drill and a guide? Does anyone know of a better, low cost option? I thought about trying to make a base that fits but I think that would be harder.

2. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Line up a spot for a screw and take a center punch and give it a tap see if it dinks the steel.
    If it does then you can drill and tap it.
    If no dink in it you will have a harder time.

Catt57 and RickN like this.