Driven T post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first one we had didn't have the spring but had a 4 pound chunk of lead. That thing slammed them into the ground. I was sore as hell but the posts went in.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seen a guy take his finger off driving a t post.
He used the t post driver correct except the first drop, he was holding the post up straight with his left hand, and gave that driver a hard slam with his right hand and had his left index finger about 2" too high on the post. That post driver took his finver smooth off. I had to lift the driver off that post to find his finger while he was running in circles cussing. It was stuffed inside it wedged between post and driver. Wasnt good enough shape to reattach.
Sonofabitch!! I know that hurt. He learned the hard way not to hold the post with any hand.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I was about 12 when I first used a driver. Before that was a 2 lb hammer but than my dad brought that new fangled driver. Took me a while to get use to it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’d be concerned about the longevity of the air hose coupler on the side of that driver. The hose is flopping up and down during operation; after 100s of T-posts, I wouldn’t be surprised if the coupler broke loose. Might be better to mount the coupler on the long axis with a flexible collar for the air hose.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What I'd like to see is the efficiency of use and time when driving posts every so many feet. If one is talking about a permanent pasture fence, I'd say that each post would have to be about 8 feet apart. For a temporary livestock fence that would be electrified, they would have to be further apart.

One would have to have one person to operate the tractor, pulling the trailer, and maybe another person to carry each post to the driver operator. Now, if one was pulling the trailer along the fence row and closer to the driver operator, then the 3rd person might not be needed, so long as the driver operator could pick up each post himself.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'd like to see is the efficiency of use and time when driving posts every so many feet. If one is talking about a permanent pasture fence, I'd say that each post would have to be about 8 feet apart. For a temporary livestock fence that would be electrified, they would have to be further apart.

One would have to have one person to operate the tractor, pulling the trailer, and maybe another person to carry each post to the driver operator. Now, if one was pulling the trailer along the fence row and closer to the driver operator, then the 3rd person might not be needed, so long as the driver operator could pick up each post himself.
One person could do it. You just drop the posts where they’re supposed to go, then park the tractor and trailer in the middle of a 200-300 foot run; 150’ of air hose fits on a relatively small reel.

It’s certainly a lot better than having to set a post the old fashioned way, with a shovel or post hole diggers and a creosoted log...

Latest posts

Top Bottom