Driven T post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet he could tamp them in so solid they would not move an inch. Took me a long time to learn how to do it right.

We used a piece of oilfield sucker rod to tamp. Still have it.

Grandpa had a heavy metal bar with one end pointed. That end was used to help break up the soil for digging the hole, and the other end was for tamping. Kick in a few inches of dirt and tamp and then repeat until the hole was full.

Father-in-law used 4" or 5" round posts. Drop in the post and half fill the rest of the hole and tamp with the non-business end of the post hole diggers for just a bit. Then kick in the rest of the dirt and tamp once more.

Ha! Grandpa used 12V fence chargers and would test the circuit when done by grabbing the wire and then putting a finger into the dirt. That's how I learned to do that. Only did that once at Father-in-law's because they used 120V fence chargers.

Brother-in-law got a big kick out of it though.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Proper compacted soil using a 3-4 inch lift each time and proper amount of water (sprinkled, not a mudhole) and soil can be compacted to dang near as solid as concrete (without the physical strength laterally). Highway bedding material is a prime example and we watch for proper compaction on every job as written by the specifications.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! Grandpa used 12V fence chargers and would test the circuit when done by grabbing the wire and then putting a finger into the dirt. That's how I learned to do that. Only did that once at Father-in-law's because they used 120V fence chargers.

Brother-in-law got a big kick out of it though.
Betcha that knocked yer d**k in the dirt! Reminds me of FFA Initiation night. Talk about hazing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom