Driveway Alarms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have 4 neighbors that surround us here off Hwy 16 NW of Bristow. One across the hwy and one on the East side and West side of our property. No one north of us for a mile or so and private property all in that area. We've become friendly with all and are really nice families. It's also nice that we will text each other when there is potential nefarious activities going on to just give a heads up to each other. Today got a text from the neighbor to the East of us that a beat up ford truck was pulling up peoples driveways and sometimes parking for a few minutes then leaving. Apprently pulling far enough up the drives that it wasn't just looking at a map or lost or whatever. We do have automatic gates but have to leave them open for trash service or this week have guest coming and going that don't have openers. Wife works from home and does have her pistol and two nutty boxers that would surely keep someone from breaking in. THe problem is our home is so well insulated that it's hard to hear any vehicle that comes down our 400' gravel driveway. SOmetimes the dogs will here a car but not always.

So, after all that, what do you guys use for a driveway alarm. Need a wireless unit that is about 100'-200' down the drive that has the base station in our bedroom. Just starting my research now. We are also trying to figure out cameras for the exterior of our home as well. We had Nest cameras at our home in Socal and loved them but they have changed their models up a bit and don't care much for them now. What you got? Thanks

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use cell cams that send notifications to my cell phone. Back in the day before cell cams, we had one of those sensors that would work 150 yards away that would wirelessly set off an alarm in the house with the base station. It drove the dogs nuts. Our driveway is 3/10 mile long. The cam up in a tree that is unreachable gets a three shot burst photo of the vehicle coming in, and a three shot burst photo of the vehicle leaving. The tag number is highly visible, although the frontal pics don't really show the driver. The glass reflection hides them.
The cell cams do take a few seconds to send a notification though. When my truck hits the camera, I'm almost to the house before the notification hits the phone.
Another plus is the animals you get to see on occasion.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use cell cams that send notifications to my cell phone. Back in the day before cell cams, we had one of those sensors that would work 150 yards away that would wirelessly set off an alarm in the house with the base station. It drove the dogs nuts. Our driveway is 3/10 mile long. The cam up in a tree that is unreachable gets a three shot burst photo of the vehicle coming in, and a three shot burst photo of the vehicle leaving. The tag number is highly visible, although the frontal pics don't really show the driver. The glass reflection hides them.
The cell cams do take a few seconds to send a notification though. When my truck hits the camera, I'm almost to the house before the notification hits the phone.
Another plus is the animals you get to see on occasion.
You need another tree.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
eMACROS is what a couple of friends use. Uses from one up to seven sensors and works out to a half mile iirc.
I like it! With that fresnel lens, you can mask it and tailor the beam to your specific needs.

I don't really like the Mickey Mouse electronic chimes/tunes.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom