Drones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those that fly them and those that know about them. Few Questions.

Can they fly in Snow, Sleet and Rain?
What brand and where is a good entry level one? I am wanting to learn about and use one. Can an old man learn how to use them?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I had the same thoughts I sought advice from my techy son who had one. I ended up buying a DJI drone per his recommendation. Not sure how 'entry level" it was as I spent about $1K for it. It couples with my i-phone is quite easy to fly. I really like the function that brings it home with the touch of a button....so I just watch it return to me. It will actually land within a few inches if not eactly from where it took off. Don't know about the snow/rain stuff as I prefer not to be out in it either. High quality camera that zooms, pans, etc.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you sink a big bundle of cash into a weather-resistant drone, I wouldn’t suggest flying it in rain or fog. The electronics will likely get fried in a hurry. In snow, it might be ok as long as it doesn’t get packed with melting white stuff…

For a basic beginner drone, it’s hard to beat this one:

https://www.dji.com/mini-3?site=brandsite&from=homepage
It consistently outperforms pretty much all other drones at the same price point, is easy to fly, and takes excellent pics and video.

Now if your goal is to experience a first-person perspective flying and you can handle the sticker shock, this is an awesome option:

https://www.dji.com/avata?site=brandsite&from=homepage
The motion controller is optional, but I highly recommend it for that sensation of flying a plane. It’s a lot easier than the two-stick controller, too - at the expense of not being able to fly the drone backwards. Expensive for sure, but imho worth it for the experience. Takes good pics and video, too.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a drone company and I would not recommenced flying in snow, sleet or rain. I have seen like "wet suits" for them, not sure what they were called, but seemed like they were high. Yes pretty user friendly.

I was hoping to be able to. As in like a day it is today. Set in the barn and fly it to check cattle and such. Well I see that ain’t happening. Thanks on the advice gents.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last edited:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to. As in like a day it is today. Set in the barn and fly it to check cattle and such. Well I see that ain’t happening. Thanks on the advice gents.

FWIW - Don't shoot the messenger, but per the FAA those types of activities do require a Part 107 license. Unlikely to get caught, but the FAA has been known to make examples of a few unfortunate souls.

But per your questions, unless you go big bucks most of the drones are not waterproof/resistant and can be damaged. If you must fly in rain, snow, etc., like mentioned before get a cheap one. But cold air IS good for flying.

DJI Mini 2 is a good entry level drone. Lots of good YouTube vids on how to fly.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be better off with one of those SimpliSafe cameras in the barn. They're about 40 bucks on Ebay and you don't need a subscription to just use it on your phone if you don't plan to record the cattle doing funny things. You will need electricity, but it runs off a wireless network (2g)
That's what I do with my chickens.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - Don't shoot the messenger, but per the FAA those types of activities do require a Part 107 license. Unlikely to get caught, but the FAA has been known to make examples of a few unfortunate souls.

If he’s using it as part of a commercial operation, then yes. If he’s using it to check on his pet Betsy and her baby, probably not.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know several guys here in TX that use drones to check cows, and I seriously doubt any of them have a license. From what I’ve seen, cows don’t pay any attention to a drone even if you practically hit them in the head or land of their tail heads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom