Drones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - Don't shoot the messenger, but per the FAA those types of activities do require a Part 107 license. Unlikely to get caught, but the FAA has been known to make examples of a few unfortunate souls.

But per your questions, unless you go big bucks most of the drones are not waterproof/resistant and can be damaged. If you must fly in rain, snow, etc., like mentioned before get a cheap one. But cold air IS good for flying.

DJI Mini 2 is a good entry level drone. Lots of good YouTube vids on how to fly.

You are saying it is illegal to take a drone and check my cows?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt any of the "guys in Texas" have read or understand the drone rules as put forth by the FAA. Read them yourself. Intent of the flight not needed to be strictly "commercial" or for money. I guess if you can justify checking your cows a hobby or a recreational activity then all is good. If you sell your cows then it could be construed as furtherance of a business.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?...lim-title49-section44809&num=0&edition=prelim
Yuze guys can do, and will do, all you want.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might be better off with one of those SimpliSafe cameras in the barn. They're about 40 bucks on Ebay and you don't need a subscription to just use it on your phone if you don't plan to record the cattle doing funny things. You will need electricity, but it runs off a wireless network (2g)
That's what I do with my chickens.

All of the feed barns have elect. But no internet reaches them. We do have hidden game cameras that are used if any issues arise.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FWIW - Don't shoot the messenger, but per the FAA those types of activities do require a Part 107 license. Unlikely to get caught, but the FAA has been known to make examples of a few unfortunate souls.

But per your questions, unless you go big bucks most of the drones are not waterproof/resistant and can be damaged. If you must fly in rain, snow, etc., like mentioned before get a cheap one. But cold air IS good for flying.

DJI Mini 2 is a good entry level drone. Lots of good YouTube vids on how to fly.
The 107 is for business and money making ventures. Legally you are supposed to have a license not sure what it is. Something like a hobby license and you are supposed to register it. We have to because of our business. Our drone is not good in cold weather. It will drain out battery very quickly. We have a heated battery for doing work when its cold. When we got that battery the people we got it from told him from personal experience not to use when the temperature is lower than freezing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom