Dueling tree advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I "need" / want a tree for rimfire, I have a AR 500 3/8 x 6" paddle tree but the .22 doesn't budge the paddles.. I figure I can pull the paddles on the tree and drop in a thinner paddle.. Question is should I go with the A36 mild steel at 3/16 thick or gamble and go AR500 1/4" thick ? My brain cells say go with the mild steel 3/16 for the lesser weight factor.. Will a .22 even budge the 1/4" ??

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can say that 22 will beat the heck out of 3/16 mild swinging targets at 50yds. I've got some 3/4" thick plate swingers at 100yds and the 22 just barely rocks em. Just enough you can see it. Soooooo, I'd say 1/4" ar500 will swing.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try propping up the front of the tree a bit, so the .22 doesn't have to fight so hard moving the paddles "uphill."

A little grease where all the moving parts rub should also help.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

That's a good thought Mac, best yet and I tried it, not the grease though.. The 3/8x 6" paddle is heavy and if not hit proper with 9mm it doesn't swing to the other side..Haven't yet seen ar500 in less than 1/4 so I suppose I'll do some more you tubing..

I can say that 22 will beat the heck out of 3/16 mild swinging targets at 50yds. I've got some 3/4" thick plate swingers at 100yds and the 22 just barely rocks em. Just enough you can see it. Soooooo, I'd say 1/4" ar500 will swing.

Beats the heck out of 3/16, does it deform or pit them ?
I like the thought of ar500 of course but it doesn't come thinner than 1/4" that I know of and it would suck if it didn't function as planned..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try propping up the front of the tree a bit, so the .22 doesn't have to fight so hard moving the paddles "uphill."

A little grease where all the moving parts rub should also help.

Just a thought. :drunk2:
That's a good thought Mac, best yet and I tried it, not the grease though.. The 3/8x 6" paddle is heavy and if not hit proper with 9mm it doesn't swing to the other side..Haven't yet seen ar500 in less than 1/4 so I suppose I'll do some more you tubing..

Beats the heck out of 3/16, does it deform or pit them ?
I like the thought of ar500 of course but it doesn't come thinner than 1/4" that I know of and it would suck if it didn't function as planned..

Mac has the answer. Our gun club welder guy built a dueling tree for CF pistol. He built it using 3/8" AR500 paddles. Nothing would swing the paddles as he had the angle wrong with it leaning too far. He is going to modify it to be more upright. No grease though. Grease attracts dirt. They may be a little stiff on the first few shots, but the rust will turn to powder and actually be a pretty good dry lube.
.22 RF won't dimple mild steel unless you use stingers in a rifle and then still not much.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering new plates, went with the A36 mild steel 3/16 .. If the round hits the circle it sends the paddle pretty good if not the paddle may not make it to the other side.. The recent M&P 22 compact is hitting left, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.. Ran a quick 50 rds thru it after dinner this evening at 10 yds
IMG_20190510_200254.jpg
.. After buying these plates I find out the same seller has AR500 in 1/8" Oh well we'll see what 9mm does to them as soon as we can and go from there..

Latest posts

Top Bottom