Dumb things overheard at a gun store.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t knock ‘em use ‘em to your advantage. Case in point, I’m at an Academy gun counter and I really want the new (at that time) Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. They have one in stock.

I look at it and ask the clerk if they have one in the box. He checks and says the only one they have is this display rifle.

I proceed to tell him that it has what might be a little scratch on it and looks like it has been banged around a bit. I then asked how long they’d had it?

He checked and said it had been there more than a month. He then said he would check with the manager to see if the could give me a break since it was a display unit and had a little scratch on it.

They knocked $250.00 off the price. I kid you not, the manager said it really needed to go and it did look like it had been handled a lot.

I smiled and said I guess I’ll take it even though it wasn’t in perfect condition. A brand new all metal RPR with a few fingerprints on it at a price that was way below the going rate.

Both parties were happy! A win / win deal for everyone 😬

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t knock ‘em use ‘em to your advantage. Case in point, I’m at an Academy gun counter and I really want the new (at that time) Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. They have one in stock.

I look at it and ask the clerk if the have one in the box. He checks and says the only one they have is this display rifle.

I proceed to tell him that it has what might be a little scratch on it and looks like it has been banged around a bit. I then asked how long they’d had it?

He checked and said it had been there more than a month. He then said he would check with the manager to see if the could give me a break since it was a display unit and had a little scratch on it.

They knocked $250.00 off the price. I kid you not, the manager said it really needed to go and it did look like it had been handled a lot.

I smiled and said I guess I’ll take it even though it wasn’t in perfect condition. A brand new all metal RPR with a few fingerprints on it at a price that was way below the going rate.

That is my philosophy in every deal I make. As long as both parties leave smiling, it was a good deal.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I look at it and ask the clerk if they have one in the box. He checks and says the only one they have is this display rifle.

As a former gun salesperson, I hate you people. Whether we have one or ten they all come in a box. And it better have a serious flaw before you get a discount.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a former gun salesperson, I hate you people. Whether we have one or ten they all come in a box. And it better have a serious flaw before you get a discount.
I never asked him for a discount. Never told him I wouldn’t take it as is. He was kind enough to offer and who am I to refuse!

Moral of the story, hire better more knowledgeable people. That scene would never have happened at a dedicated gun shop with knowledgeable sales people.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my first handgun in 1990. I was trying to decide between several and was looking at a TZ-75 Model 88. Never had heard of a CZ 75 or Tangfolio before and was thinking of getting something else (may have been a Colt All American 2000.) There was a gentleman who overheard the conversation and started saying Tangfolio was a good manufacturer and started talking about the CZ 75, explained that the gun was a clone and perhaps an excellent choice. I ended up buying the TZ 75. Glad I did too, aside from having trouble getting magazines it was a great gun. Turns out that gentleman has written many articles for varying gun magazines over the years. Saw his photo in Gun's and Ammo. Wish I could remember his name. Was very happy I didn't buy a jam-o-matic Colt. My point, if you know something, say something.
At the time, the TZ was the clone. In todays circle, tangfolio are excellent guns and manufactured down the road from other excellent manufacturers. At some point a gent needs to decide what he wants and likes in the price point he can afford, there is always something better hit often at a different price point.

You are correct on not getting the **** show Colt 2000, damn near did myself …it said colt had to be good. I think I may have gotten a tz75 & a tz88 about that same time

Latest posts

Top Bottom