Dumbest excuse for not coming to work...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave one my boss said was the most "out there" he'd ever heard. Called in and said I can't come to work because I can’t put pants on. I had sunburnt my legs so bad I couldn't get my pants on for two or three days. He just laughed about it and told me to fill out a leave form when I came in.
A guy I used to work with didn't come to work for 3 weeks because of "severe sunburn".

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard this one yesterday. Guy I know runs a pizza place. One of his younger employees calls and says he can't come to work. When asked why, he tells the manager that it is illegal to drive a car with missing valve stem caps! Says his grandmother told him it was so.
What should be illegal is being or thinking anyone is that dumb.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
At Sun Refinery in Tulsa, the Fire and Safety Dept, would take calls on weekends, and nights, for people calling in sick! Everyone worked a lot of overtime, and I had a woman call in sick, on a day she was scheduled to work overtime. She wanted to know if she would get sick time, overtime! I told he I didn't think so! I didn't know how to spell diarrhea on a sick report, and just put the "shits"! We had a nurse that had been an Army Nurse, and looked, and acted, like a drill instructor! Needless to say, she did not see the humor in this, and came down to the Fire Station, and wrote DIARRHEA, in huge letters on the black board! This stayed there for years!

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in high school I worked at Little Caesars. I asked off for my graduation day, but didn't think about possibly needing to take off the next day because of celebrating. After graduation I went to my first and only high school party. My brother had bought me a six pack to take with me. I walked in the front door and by the time I made it to the fridge in the kitchen (maybe 30 feet away) I was down to one beer.
Needless to say I was extremely hung over the next day. So much so that I didn't remember being put on the schedule. I got a call from the asst. manager a few minutes after when I apparently was scheduled to be there. She asked me when I was going to show up. I told her I'd show up for work the next day. She said I needed to show up that day. I told her that if I showed up in my current condition that she would fire me. 😁 😁
I did not go to work that day. I barely moved that day. Luckily I was one of the least irresponsible people that worked there (and my friend was the manager) so I didn't lose my job.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy I worked with had cataract surgery and he used his sick leave for one week. The boss said he was told he couldn't see coming in until his vision was better. Ha it was funny in the break room hearing that.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guilty, when I was younger, I called in because I bought a new video game that was just released that day
When Metal Gear solid 2 was released, I locked myself in my office with a tv and PS2 for the whole weekend. I told my shift managers that this was a "test" to see if they could handle day to day operations on a weekend.

To be fair....I was salary, and averaged about 65 hrs a week at that time. It was kind of like a miniature vacation.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We used to have group meetings on mondays to talk about the upcoming week. One guy had his wife call in for him to say that Jack was sick and wouldn’t be in. Before she hung up you could hear her say ‘how was that, did I do ok’ . The boss replayed the message to everyone there. Jack caught crap for that for months but he wasn’t ‘sick’ after that.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a guy's wife call right at shift change, on a Fridaynight. I had noticed Kenny wasn't there. His wife says "Kenny won't be in."

"OK, but he has to call in for himself."

"Uhmmmmm, he can't."

"Ma'am, I have to speak to Kenny or he will be absent without call."

"Uhmmmmmmm, he is in jail, won't see the Judge until Monday. I told him to pay those tickets."

"OK, I'll cover him until Monday night."

Thing is, I had been on fence about replacing him, fire him, as soon as I hired a replacement. He was always a minute or two late. Done just enough to get by. Always begging for help and never helping anyone.

Monday, he was the first one there, and was early from then on. He would do any job I asked. He wasn't the brightest. He wasn't the best. But, he didn't complain and he didn't make mistakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom