Dunkirk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw Dunkirk last night with the wife and we both agreed that it was OK but not outstanding. I will add a couple of exceptions - the air combat scenes were fairly good (I used to fly USAF fighters for a living) and one particular scene of naval action was good. However, I found the constant switching between "current" time and flashbacks very disorienting at first. We watched the movie in an IMAX theater and I found the dialog too distorted to really understand much of the time. That may have been the fault of the IMAX itself so I would recommend seeing this is a conventional theater over the IMAX. Bottom line OK, not great, 3 stars out of 5.
How dis orientating are the flashbacks? Are they anything like the wandering minds of those in the "Thin Red Line"? I actually got up and walked out after 40 minutes on that one

Is it uplifting as any story of Dunkirk should be?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a tremendous chapter in the War. If those troops are lost, England is lost, Russia would probably fall or cede lands the Nazi's wanted. Loss of the British EF and French allies would have forced a surrender or absolute destruction. The US has yet to enter the war. Nor did it have the capacity or support of the people to do so.
A different world indeed.
Shame if the movie can't capture the truth of it.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How dis orientating are the flashbacks? Are they anything like the wandering minds of those in the "Thin Red Line"? I actually got up and walked out after 40 minutes on that one

Is it uplifting as any story of Dunkirk should be?

I may be slower than the average bear but it took several iterations before I clearly saw what the director was doing, even then I didn't particularly like it. I have not seen "Thin Red Line" so I have no comparison basis.

It has uplifting moments and some very good moments but I felt they were mixed with enough so-so moments to make it an overall good-but-not-great. I don't feel cheated over the ticket price but I can't strongly recommend it.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heard a movie critic on Fox this morning claiming it was the best movie ever. He was planning to see it for the third time. You guys are making me question whether to see it in the theater or wait for Netflix.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

pearl harbor.jpe

Latest posts

Top Bottom