E Filing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to buy a suppressor from a buddy through an NFA Trust. And I wanted to E-File the paperwork. Can someone please inform me on how to do this or if it is even possible. I wasn't sure if I had to go through a dealer to do it. Thanks.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to buy a suppressor from a buddy through an NFA Trust. And I wanted to E-File the paperwork. Can someone please inform me on how to do this or if it is even possible. I wasn't sure if I had to go through a dealer to do it. Thanks.

Just logged in to my eForm account and tried to create a eForm4 and you must select an FFL (auto-fill from your profile) to complete the form; filing as trust or individual is not an option as the second page, that has all of the pertinent of the transfer initiator, is auto-populated by selecting the FFL on the previous page.

If your buddy is in-state, have him fill out the paper Form4 ($200) and try to forget about it. Could go through a dealer but it would be paper from the friend to the dealer ($200) and then electronic from dealer to you ($200). Unless it is a really good friend or a hell of a deal, you may want to look at picking up something in stock at a dealer.

ATF Quoted Lead Times said:
Paper transfer = 2 months to get to pending (check cashed and data entry) + 9 months processing
eFile transfer = Immediately pending + 4 months processing

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only FFL licensees are currently allowed to submit eFiled Form 4s. You will need to find an intermediary SOT or FFL who can handle the transfer for you.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only FFL licensees are currently allowed to submit eFiled Form 4s. You will need to find an intermediary SOT or FFL who can handle the transfer for you.

The person/entity/FFL that is in current possession of the NFA item is the one that has to initiate the paperwork, meaning the friend still has to file a paper Form4 to get it to an SOT/FFL. So if he goes that route he will still have to deal with the standard wait for the paper Form4 to a dealer, running longer than 2 months at the moment, and pay $200 to transfer the can to the SOT and then the 4 month wait for the eForm4 and pay $200 to transfer the can to him. Bringing his total wait time to 6+ months and the transfer cost to $400.

Just have to decide if the deal he is getting is worth an extra transfer fee and if waiting 6 months less is worth an extra $200

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew the e file was a lot quicker. I was hoping that either an individual with a trust could e file or I could have my local class 3 dealer submit it on my behalf. Looks like it will be the longer road unfortunately. Thanks for the info fellas.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew the e file was a lot quicker. I was hoping that either an individual with a trust could e file or I could have my local class 3 dealer submit it on my behalf. Looks like it will be the longer road unfortunately. Thanks for the info fellas.

Is the deal that good? I'd just look for something already on a Form3 at a dealer and save the 8+ months.

Should have had the store cancel my paper form in August at the same time I submitted eFrom1 SBRs. Still waiting on a can thats paperwork was submitted early June and went pending a few days before my SBRs.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a good suppressor that you can't get anymore. Plus it's a friend. He's close enough that we go to the range together almost all the time. So I can use it while I wait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom