E911 causing address to change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read an article in the local paper telling us our address will be changing in the next few months.There can only be one street with the same name.If you live on maple street there can't be a Maple place, Maple terrace or similar.Has anyone else heard of this? I was at our library yesterday and they were having their address changed.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
E911 address notices roll out
  • By Charlene Belew The Duncan Banner
  • Mar 12, 2019

Citizens in Duncan are receiving notifications in the mail stating their addresses will change in the future.
Councilman Ricky Mayes, Ward 4, explained further what changing addresses will help do, especially once everyone is transitioned to e911 addresses.
“I just want to explain what is happening,” Mayes said. “This is a city wide federal mandate for the e911 system. All street names must be unique and cannot be reused.”
Because street names cannot be reused is one of the reasons why some addresses are changing. For example, Duncan has Timbercreek Court, Timbercreek Drive and Timbercreek Circle.
“Per the e911 system those streets will have to be renamed, as there can only be one street with Timbercreek in its name,” Mayes said. “The same goes for any other similar named streets.”
Further changes under e911 make it to where all houses have to be in chronological order now.
“My house will be affected by this mandate, as our block is now 1, 5, 11, 13, 15,” Mayes said. “Every house but 1 will have to be renumbered.”
Changing addresses to avoid similarly named streets or mis-numbered homes comes in an effort to make it easier for first responders to answer quickly to calls and emergencies without getting stuck at the wrong residence on a similarly named street.

Mayes reminded that this is a Federal mandate for the e911 system.
“(Its) to make it easier to locate homes in an emergency,” Mayes said. “The City has to comply, or will be at risk of losing any Federally funded money to the city — such as any federal grants, including airport improvements, FEMA, or any other federal monies available.”
The changes are occurring county wide, but has been underway since 2010.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm......Atlanta has over 50 streets named "Peachtree" something or other. I think that the mayhem caused by all the changes can't be worth it. What if 50 people get their mailed medicine messed up? What if the crazy person doesn't receive his mailed check? Just seems like government over compensation for a solution without a real problem.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We've been dispatched to an address on a Banner Rd, when the actual medical was on Banner Drive, which are about 10 miles apart.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa is full of street names where there is a St., Pl., Ct., and sometimes also an Av. They are usually consecutive, in other words the next street south of Something St. is Something Pl.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand it to a point we gets calls for something st but when you try to narrow it down to st,rd blvd the caller has no idea where they live just the first part of the street name. Now my question is will it affect the streets like N 1st, S 1st,E 1st or W 1st if so there will be alot of changes that has to be done.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm......Atlanta has over 50 streets named "Peachtree" something or other.
Just seems like government over compensation for a solution without a real problem.
I was told that Houston enacted an ordinance back in the early '80s prohibiting the use of the word quail in street names because of the inane number of "quail" street names.

I do think there is a problem, but renaming and renumbering the streets and houses isn't the best solution.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, we have had 3 addresses thanks to 911 since we bought this place.

Oh ya, it will take a year for all the gps maps to get caught up and after about two years the post office quits automatically forwarding your mail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom