E911 causing address to change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh brother, my neighborhood is gonna have a fit if they do that here. We have four hickory's in a row: Hickory St, Hickory Ave, Hickory Pl and Hickory Ct. My house number is shared with two more houses but on different Hickory's. We get each other's mail all the time.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh brother, my neighborhood is gonna have a fit if they do that here. We have four hickory's in a row: Hickory St, Hickory Ave, Hickory Pl and Hickory Ct. My house number is shared with two more houses but on different Hickory's. We get each other's mail all the time.

Actually, with so many "Hickory's" in such a small area, you might see less loss of mail, thus less confusion for the "post-person."

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question for Terry Miller.Since you use to work for OSBI once the addresses are changed will we need to get a new Handgun license since our address did change even though we are not actually moving? Seems like they will be over ran with paper work if that is the case.Thanks

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question for Terry Miller.Since you use to work for OSBI once the addresses are changed will we need to get a new Handgun license since our address did change even though we are not actually moving? Seems like they will be over ran with paper work if that is the case.Thanks

Very possible that permit holders will have to do that. Sadly, each change of address requires payment of a fee for that "service." While there are a lot of good people at the OSBI, there are a few that can't shed that "state mentality" of "this is the way we've always done things." In other words, some haven't enough common sense to consider a better idea. I saw that first-hand and got chewed out by a supervisor. A guy had sent in both his application for a permit and one for CLEET. The supervisor initially said we just filed away the "extra" CLEET application. I took it to the next level up, arguing that we needed to send it back, otherwise the guy would never get action on the CLEET application. Upper level management agreed and I sent it back. Lower supervisor told me to NEVER ask again for what to do.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would be simpler for people to pay attention to the entire address to know what is going on. Seems people now days get overloaded and confused if there is more than three words in a text message sentence.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lost my rural route/box number to e911. I stil miss it.

We moved to the country 30 years ago with a RR# and box number. In the first 10 years, they changed us in Osage county three times, and when the E-911 came about we got to pick the name of our road.
Credit to the post office to always get the changes right, but it was a PITA to keep changing the addresses with financial services, vendors etc.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least it wasn't being done for geographical PC reasons as was done a few years ago. An example from Kingfisher County was the re-naming of Dead Indian Creek to a more PC/innocuous label.

I'm from Kingfisher and I still call it a Dead Indian Creek. Winter Camp Creek doesn't exist...

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We moved to the country 30 years ago with a RR# and box number. In the first 10 years, they changed us in Osage county three times, and when the E-911 came about we got to pick the name of our road.
Credit to the post office to always get the changes right, but it was a PITA to keep changing the addresses with financial services, vendors etc.
We built this house in '76, and ours has been changed a couple times.

Both the route name AND box number were changed back in the '80s or '90s. Then later we got an additional house number (to use with the road name) for local emergency services (and totally unrelated to getting mail). Then a few years ago, the road name was changed for E-911 and we were issued a street address/house number.

I can understand the road name change though, because there's a T-intersection where the paved road (we'll call it "Peach Road") became "North Peach Road" and "South Peach Road" from the T-intersection ("Peach Road" itself went west from the T-intersection).

And to complicate it further, there was a gravel road at the T-intersection going east that looped back into "North Peach Road", with it's own name (so technically, the T-intersection is a crossroads).

And there's more... when we moved here, the T-road ("North Peach Road" and "South Peach Road") were gravel too. And now even the gravel looping road is paved.
106178-b7e1941ea8db5163fe4c94d654cb9705.jpg

So there's a couple minutes y'all will never get back...
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom