E911 causing address to change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, a few years back when I worked for T-Mobile in Seattle they located some stranded hikers on Mount Rainier using nothing but the GPS and triangulation of the phone that wasn't even making a call. I know, that takes more effort and cooperation and seconds sometimes count in your residence. But that was 11 years, 4 technologies (2G, 3G, 4G, & 5g), & 2 911 enhancements (phase 2, e911) ago.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many moons ago, we lived in the country in NW Texas County in the Oklahoma Panhandle on the father-in-law's farm. The farm was 3 miles from Elkhart, Kansas, so we got out mail out of Elkhart. (That always confused Kansas highway patrol people to see a Kansas address on an Oklahoma driver's license.) Then, someone decided that needed to change, so our address was changed to Keyes, Oklahoma. So, now the postal people had to drive 20-plus miles to get to us instead of just the 3 miles. I always wondered if the Elkhart post office had to get rid of the one employee and Keyes had to pick up another employee.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how much of this is the Feds making them do it, how much is them overreacting to a supposed Federal requirement, and how much is it just some bureaucrat being a dick about this? The only hits I could find on this subject were this discussion and the Duncan paper article. If this were really happening everywhere, this should be all over the news, because this would be a biggly yuuuuge deal in OKC, Tulsa, and Norman (among other cities).

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am hoping my address doesn't change for quite awhile if ever.I will have to contact the banks,credit card companies,car insurance,medical and dental insurance.Also new drivers license and handgun licenses.Probably a few others I can't think of right now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much of this is the Feds making them do it, how much is them overreacting to a supposed Federal requirement, and how much is it just some bureaucrat being a dick about this? The only hits I could find on this subject were this discussion and the Duncan paper article. If this were really happening everywhere, this should be all over the news, because this would be a biggly yuuuuge deal in OKC, Tulsa, and Norman (among other cities).
It's not the feds. EMS couldn't find RR 7 Box 391 addresses on gps devices when accessing rural addresses. Street names are easy to find.

I am hoping my address doesn't change for quite awhile if ever.I will have to contact the banks,credit card companies,car insurance,medical and dental insurance.Also new drivers license and handgun licenses.Probably a few others I can't think of right now.
Yep, you will have to change them all. It's a PITA. We live in Osage county, west side near Ponca City. When they first went to enhanced 911 and we gave them a street address, it was to Ponca City EMS services because that is who responds to ambulance and fire calls.
Osage county in their infinite wisdom and probably some cash changing hands decided to change us again and contract a private company to deploy ambulances around the county so that if a call came in, it would be about a 20-45 minute response time, with transport to a small hospital in Fairfax or Pawhuska that added another 30 minutes vs the large hospital in Ponca City just 5 miles away.
It's still with Osage county but with an uproar, we will get a response from Ponca City ems services.

Latest posts

Top Bottom