Ear Notch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I hunted on a DMAP where ODW biologists were involved in each property, we were told that does in their first, second and maybe their third year would have single fawns. Senior does would have twins, so the recommendation from the biologist was to shoot senior does and leave the young does. It was more typical for younger does to have buck fawns, and senior does to have twin does we were told.
That's the info I gathered. Our buck to doe ratio was 65-1 when we started, and when I left the DMAP it was 42-1. We killed 40 does a year and I was in the program for over 10 years.
As to being fraternal or identical, I'd have to refer to others. I don't have that answer.
Edit: I do know in humans, there is the possibility of two children, not twins by two sires and one doe at a single birth.
Watched Maury Povich a couple of times to prove it.

You are NOT the father!!! (That's your Q to run off the stage while she still claims you are and wants a check from you monthly.)

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
COULD BE SHE HAD EAR PIERCINGS AND THEY GOT SNATCHED OUT WHILE RUNNING THROUGH THE TREES TRYING TO AVOID HUNTERS:anyone:
ear piercing.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RE: Twin Does
Do you have any knowledge as to whether multiple births in deer are identical or fraternal twins? And, if fraternal, whether they have the same sire?

I don't suppose it really matters, but I'm curious.
I would guess them to be fraternal. I used to have a book on deer that stated does will have up to four fawns. The most controlling factor is the doe's available nutrition, prior to and during pregnancy. It also stated that in times of extreme stress that a doe's body will use an unborn fawn for nutrition.

Now with all that said, it's been over 30 years since I've seen that book. The science is likely much better understood now. I think the book was titled "The Deer of North America". It was a good read back then.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That actually raises more questions. I'm assuming that, as mammals, deer follow the same XX/XY paradigm as humans (please correct me if I'm wrong). As such, it's the sire, not the dam, that determines the sex of the child. How, then, does the age of the doe have anything to do with the sex of the child? I can see the quantity--older does releasing more ova--but the sex? I don't get it?

I'm genuinely asking how, not doubting you. The question really is interesting. If you don't have the answer, I'd love to wait for you to talk to those who know--it's genuinely fascinating, and it has implications in game management (shooting young does early increases buck population, shooting older does would reduce doe--and total--population). Obviously, that statement would depend upon the degree to which a species is, or is not, monogamous.

Anyhow, fascinating question. Do you know, or have anybody you can ask?

ETA: I know fraternal twins can be to the same sire, or multiples. I have very good friends in the former category; fraternal twins simply require the release of two fertile ova, both of which are fertilized, without regard to the number of (potential) sires. Humans are more monogamous than whitetails, though--or so I understand--hence the question.
It's an interesting discussion. Most of what I said was repeating what we were told as part of the DMAP from a biologist.
There is lots of data out there about deer reproduction. All of it stating that 1st year does produce singles, and older does produce twins or triplets.
When you have a ratio of 60 does or so to one buck it makes sense to shoot the older does as they have the ability to produce more does with twins.
One link: Female deer usually conceive at about one and one half years of age and usually fawn at two years of age. The first fawn is usually a single. After that most does tend to twin. Healthy deer herds can produce between 80 to 100% fawn crops. A herd with mostly older age females is more productive than a herd with mostly young females.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/age/
That being said, when the doe population is so skewed and unhealthy like our DMAP the doe population explodes. Shooting senior does vs young does doubles the management goals, and you don't take a chance of shooting a button buck.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I hunted on a DMAP where ODW biologists were involved in each property, we were told that does in their first, second and maybe their third year would have single fawns. Senior does would have twins, so the recommendation from the biologist was to shoot senior does and leave the young does. It was more typical for younger does to have buck fawns, and senior does to have twin does we were told.
That's the info I gathered. Our buck to doe ratio was 65-1 when we started, and when I left the DMAP it was 42-1. We killed 40 does a year and I was in the program for over 10 years.
As to being fraternal or identical, I'd have to refer to others. I don't have that answer.
Edit: I do know in humans, there is the possibility of two children, not twins by two sires and one doe at a single birth.
Watched Maury Povich a couple of times to prove it.

Coming from a dude that sired fraternal twins, it's actually a very entertaining topic. We had a boy and girl. I still laugh out loud (yes, literally) when I recall that my son, being a twin, is technically 2 days younger than his twin sister. :thumbup3:

As for deer, I have no science to back up how the twin/multiples occur via relationship.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's been years since i read this but ornithologists at William & Mary determined eagle females determine the sex of their hatchlings, lean years they produce more males, years of plenty they produce more females than males. i don't know the hows or whys, just something i read that stuck in the remcaller

Latest posts

Top Bottom