'Early' winter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody checked the persimmon seeds yet to see what kind of winter and precip we're gonna get?

I usually do but my persimmons didn't make this year.

My persimmon patch in the yard is loaded. Been dropping for over a week. The deer come every evening to load up, and what they don’t eat, the coyotes clean up.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought my first Jeep Wrangler TJ about a month ago. Might get to try it out this year. We really have not had much of a winter for a few years, might be good to get rid of some of the bugs.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer finally started coming through here a couple of weeks ago, and right now, they are eating 50 pounds of corn every 3 days! That will definitely be cut back after October 1st...

I filled my protein feeders on Wednesday afternoon last week (they had been empty only a couple days), and I topped them off on Friday afternoon before I left. Both feeders held 2 whole sacks (100 lbs)! I can’t afford to feed these deer if they continue eating at that rate. I’m really hoping that they will slow down on the dairy pellets when the wheat plots come up. HOPEFULLY!!!!!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully your wheat plots will do good and allow you to cut back on your feed bill!

I just put out another 50 pounds corn yesterday afternoon, and it's about gone already! At the rate they are going, I'll probably have to put out another 150 pounds of corn before the 1st.!!!

If my wife can kill a deer though, it will all be worth it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully your wheat plots will do good and allow you to cut back on your feed bill!

I just put out another 50 pounds corn yesterday afternoon, and it's about gone already! At the rate they are going, I'll probably have to put out another 150 pounds of corn before the 1st.!!!

If my wife can kill a deer though, it will all be worth it.

Do you have pigs eating the corn too?

That’s the problem I have at my place here in TX. Between the deer and pigs, they will eat whatever is put out in one night...no matter how much. I’m now mixing corn in my dairy pellets in a protein feeder. It’s pretty much cut the pigs off completely.

Attachments

• 5763F9FB-6C7D-49A0-9959-D59E34C29FF0.jpeg
    5763F9FB-6C7D-49A0-9959-D59E34C29FF0.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you guys tried the lick-wheel thingies with liquid supplements?

Never used 'em, but I wonder if it might work for deer and perhaps stop pigs from sharing so much.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

I’ve never thought about that kind of syrup lick for deer, but I use syrup/mineral tubs with my cows that are 30% protein and have seriously considered trying them. They cost $115 for a 250 pound tub, and my cows LOVE THEM.

Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about pigs at my OK place...YET.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retrieverman - no pigs on the property and none within I don't know how many miles...

I need a good suppliment that the deer will eat, and not cost me an arm and a leg to keep feed out for them. I put out rice bran last year, but it set out so long that it molded really bad, so I shoveled it up, bagged it and trashed it...

I did put out a 50 pound bag of "bird seed" for the deer last Winter, and 19 deer wiped it out within hours!

Latest posts

Top Bottom