'Early' winter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retrieverman - no pigs on the property and none within I don't know how many miles...

I need a good suppliment that the deer will eat, and not cost me an arm and a leg to keep feed out for them. I put out rice bran last year, but it set out so long that it molded really bad, so I shoveled it up, bagged it and trashed it...

I did put out a 50 pound bag of "bird seed" for the deer last Winter, and 19 deer wiped it out within hours!
Plant some winter crop. Wheat, oats, and turnips. A 50# bag costs about $30 and will give food for 5 months.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retrieverman - no pigs on the property and none within I don't know how many miles...

I need a good suppliment that the deer will eat, and not cost me an arm and a leg to keep feed out for them. I put out rice bran last year, but it set out so long that it molded really bad, so I shoveled it up, bagged it and trashed it...

I did put out a 50 pound bag of "bird seed" for the deer last Winter, and 19 deer wiped it out within hours!
The lady that runs the Farmers COOP in Ponca told me that her husband uses the cheap bird seed mix they sell for food plots. It's a mix of millet, corn, milo, wheat, beans and who knows what else. I've never tried it so can't confirm.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you guys tried the lick-wheel thingies with liquid supplements?

Never used 'em, but I wonder if it might work for deer and perhaps stop pigs from sharing so much.

Just a thought. :drunk2:
I've tried the molasses in my area. Tried it on a broken bale of alfalfa, on the ground, in buckets, etc, and they don't seem to care for it.
That doesn't mean it might not work somewhere else, just not in my area. The deer don't use mineral licks etc. All of their minerals are supplied by mother nature.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plant some winter crop. Wheat, oats, and turnips. A 50# bag costs about $30 and will give food for 5 months.

I paid $13/50# for Foragemaxx wheat seed. I have been forced by work schedule to only put out corn and “protein” pellets at my place in OK until this year, and I’m really excited to see how my food plots are going to turn out. Since starting to feed protein, it appears like deer are spending more time on my place (but at a pretty hefty cost), and I’m hoping the food plots will solidify this.

According to DeerSlayer, I should hear a sucking sound as deer are drawn from neighboring properties to my food plots.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $13/50# for Foragemaxx wheat seed. I have been forced by work schedule to only put out corn and “protein” pellets at my place in OK until this year, and I’m really excited to see how my food plots are going to turn out. Since starting to feed protein, it appears like deer are spending more time on my place (but at a pretty hefty cost), and I’m hoping the food plots will solidify this.

According to DeerSlayer, I should hear a sucking sound as deer are drawn from neighboring properties to my food plots.
Let me know how that forage maxx does. I wish I had room to plant different plots side by side to see the difference in preference.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no way to work the ground for planting, or I would have already had something planted...

Three years ago, I bought a Land Pride “overseeder” off Craigslist to plant winter pasture (wheat and ryegrass) for my cows, and it’s worked great. It’s kind of like a drill. I used it to plant my food plots. I mowed about three weeks prior to planting, but there was still quite a bit of grass fodder. I disked one plot and just overseeded over the grass on the rest of them. I’m anxious to see which does better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three years ago, I bought a Land Pride “overseeder” off Craigslist to plant winter pasture (wheat and ryegrass) for my cows, and it’s worked great. It’s kind of like a drill. I used it to plant my food plots. I mowed about three weeks prior to planting, but there was still quite a bit of grass fodder. I disked one plot and just overseeded over the grass on the rest of them. I’m anxious to see which does better.

Not much rain in our area with this last go around. Checked my food plots yesterday. Bone dry. Ungerminated seed all over the ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom