'Early' winter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know from my cameras that it rained at my place but not much...

There’s a little forecasted for later this week, and I’m really hoping to get some.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
0fb4a71a47a5b11b01ac772931e5d636.png
our of around 100 plus I’ve seen they all look like him. No brown at all.
e9a2701a341b6ce7f9f0daf32b908803.jpg
persimmons all have spoons...
d93f200252eb0df7182083459f9856b2.jpg
these are from three different trees 30 mile radius. All three had spoons. The purple top bluestem is tall and deep purple. Everything I see points to a bad winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not much rain in our area with this last go around. Checked my food plots yesterday. Bone dry. Ungerminated seed all over the ground.

In less than 24 hours, we got a solid 3" of rain in a good slow ground soaking rain...

Well, hopefully next year I can get "something" to be able to work the ground with, having about 2 acres that i would like to be able to plant. Right now, I have that area mowed short and it looks like a golf course. During the spring and summer, I use that area to teach people how to cast a fly rod, but in the fall and winter, I would rather feed the deer...

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7stw what is the catapillar saying?

Lore says based on the amount of brown or lack of you can determine what winter will be. I haven’t found any with any brown. All jet black and look like a fur coat. The more brown the milder the winter. I’ve found over 100 and they’re all jet black.
https://m.accuweather.com/en/weathe...ars-predict-how-harsh-winter-will-be/61550888

Old timers always told me to look at native pasture that wasn’t baled or hard grazed and look at the purple top bluestem. If it’s tall expect snow and if it’s super purple damn cold also. Granted we’ve had a wet summer in north central Oklahoma but the purple top is as tall as some of the Johnson grass that has been mowed in road ditches and deep purple.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lore says based on the amount of brown or lack of you can determine what winter will be. I haven’t found any with any brown. All jet black and look like a fur coat. The more brown the milder the winter. I’ve found over 100 and they’re all jet black.
https://m.accuweather.com/en/weathe...ars-predict-how-harsh-winter-will-be/61550888

Old timers always told me to look at native pasture that wasn’t baled or hard grazed and look at the purple top bluestem. If it’s tall expect snow and if it’s super purple damn cold also. Granted we’ve had a wet summer in north central Oklahoma but the purple top is as tall as some of the Johnson grass that has been mowed in road ditches and deep purple.

Thanks for explaining. I don't remember seeing as many fuzzy catapillars as I have this year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In less than 24 hours, we got a solid 3" of rain in a good slow ground soaking rain...

Well, hopefully next year I can get "something" to be able to work the ground with, having about 2 acres that i would like to be able to plant. Right now, I have that area mowed short and it looks like a golf course. During the spring and summer, I use that area to teach people how to cast a fly rod, but in the fall and winter, I would rather feed the deer...
I've used some pretty primitive equipment in the past to put in food plots. An old two bottom steel wheel trip plow followed up with an 8' section of spring tooth pulled behind my pickup with a chain has put in many acres of food plot. Less than $100 for both.
Some more sophisticated equipment in use now though.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used some pretty primitive equipment in the past to put in food plots. An old two bottom steel wheel trip plow followed up with an 8' section of spring tooth pulled behind my pickup with a chain has put in many acres of food plot. Less than $100 for both.
Some more sophisticated equipment in use now though.

Some roundup in a backpack or hand sprayer a hand seeder and a rake will put in a lot. Seed to soil contact is really all you need. A section of cattle panel and a chain and some concrete blocks behind an atv or pickup works also. Elbow grease and a strong back will get it done. Broadcast some wheat and use a riding mower to mow it short you’ll be amazed at what that will do. I’ve put hundreds of acres of fescue in like that except with a bushhog. Equipment is nice but not required. I’d rather try and get a below average plot than wish I would have. I know archery season opens soon but it’s still not too late to try. Might not benefit for archery season but might by rifle season. If nothing else it’ll be something for the deer in the late winter- spring. Food plots are truly a year round thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom