Eating rattlesnake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correction….that’s a big a _ _ fricken snake.

Knife to cut his head off? Crap no, 41,44, 45, anything but a knife.
Haha. I swerved to avoid him in the road, and realized a minute later that his head was probably as big as the palm of my hand. Drove a few more minutes to get to the top of the hill where I had service, looked up to see what kinda snake it was. I thought for sure you couldn’t hunt them in Oklahoma normally, but looked to make sure. When I found I could, I spun right back around, drive back to the spot, stomped off into the bushes with my 357mag drawn and boat paddle in the other hand, shot him in the head. Snake shot doesn’t pattern worth a crap out of a 2.25” barrel for the record. But it got the job done a 3 feet. Maybe. It’s hard to tell with all the nerve firing going off afterward. But the head chopper finished the job for sure.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a decent sized western diamondback, or coontail as the locals here would say.

To cook i chunk it up into 3” or so long chunks with the bones still in, batter and deep fry like fish or turkey, when it floats its ready.

Eating them is like picking crawfish, best with your fave cold brew and a couple buddies. You’ll be tired of picking around the bone well before you get full.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a decent sized western diamondback, or coontail as the locals here would say.

To cook i chunk it up into 3” or so long chunks with the bones still in, batter and deep fry like fish or turkey, when it floats its ready.

Eating them is like picking crawfish, best with your fave cold brew and a couple buddies. You’ll be tired of picking around the bone well before you get full.
Did the regs change on hunting rattlesnakes? I could have sworn the last time I looked you could only hunt them during that 5 day rattlesnake roundup somewhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m guessing it’s done when the meat flakes like fish maybe? Or pulls away from the bones easy?
Ate a lot of rattlesnake. Guy I used to work with caught and cooked them all the time. It's a little stringy, but very white meat. All you get is the fillet that runs along the backbone and the rib cage.
He cut them into 3" lengths and deep fried them like fish. IMHO he would fry them too long which may have accounted for the stringy meat.
You just have to pick the meat away from the backbone and rib cage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom