EBAY has lost its damn mind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
eBay has been garbage for a while now.
I joined in 2003 and did a lot of business when it was catered to sellers.
A few years back they made a BIG push for buyer advocacy, which effectively gave all sellers the shaft. If you’re a bigger business that can afford shrink, BS returns, occasional fraud, and PayPal not refunding any fees for returns then it’s still a decent selling platform. But for your occasional user and private seller, you’re best off just having a garage sale or using FB Marketplace.
The last 5 sells I’ve had have ended in 3 disputes that took WAY too much of my time to finally have them overturned in my favor. If you read online “they” say it can’t happen, that once a ruling has happened you’re screwed, but I’m here to tell you that isn’t true if you have enough time and patience. This is after having to constantly repost my item due to fraudulent bidders. I am not exaggerating when I say the iPhone I finally sold had to be reposted 7 times. It took over 2 weeks since it was a 3 days auction each time. Unfortunately that was enough for me to end my selling on there. I still buy occasionally, but that’s about it.

I think a lot of this is because of the expectations that Amazon initially set too. People think they can “buy and try” and then return it whenever for whatever reason in whatever condition.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Capm_Spaulding I can't say I disagree with you. I know lots of guys who have gotten screwed in the trading card arena on Ebay. The kiss of death is item not as described. I have 400+ positive feedback buying and selling. I have probably done 3x that in transactions since it seems 1 in 5 may leave feedback anymore. I have never had an item returned on me knock on wood. The clown I bought this item from packaged it so poorly that it had multiple broken items. Then he wanted me to try and get the manufacture to warranty them. On top of a piece he clearly stripped out. Overall in 18 years I have probably only one of 3 of 4 bad experiences crazy thing this guy had almost 500 positives on ebay. You just never know.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad for you! Now, I'm going to need you to send me some money. I've missed out on some great deals during this Boycott EBay for Blake time period.
PayPal is fine.
You gotta let it go @Cowcatcher the 550 that was in the boat wreck is gone.
s-l1600.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Capm_Spaulding I can't say I disagree with you. I know lots of guys who have gotten screwed in the trading card arena on Ebay. The kiss of death is item not as described. I have 400+ positive feedback buying and selling. I have probably done 3x that in transactions since it seems 1 in 5 may leave feedback anymore. I have never had an item returned on me knock on wood. The clown I bought this item from packaged it so poorly that it had multiple broken items. Then he wanted me to try and get the manufacture to warranty them. On top of a piece he clearly stripped out. Overall in 18 years I have probably only one of 3 of 4 bad experiences crazy thing this guy had almost 500 positives on ebay. You just never know.

A lot of folks got screwed when buying Hornady LNL Progressive reloaders on fleabay. At the time I bought mine, you got 1000 bullets free as a rebate. Sellers were buying the units at face value, cutting out the bar code that was required to get the bullet rebate and reselling the unopened box at $20-$30 under what most reloading venders were offering it for.
Sellers got the bullets and the buyer got the screw.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a purchase on Ebay for $275 plus shipping. Had an issue and returned the item. Ebay collected $23.42 for OK sales tax. It wasn't refunded so I called ebay. They told me there is nothing they can do. That it will be remitted to the state. After arguing with the lady from India about how by me returning the item and getting a refund no transaction has taken place. She continued to apologize. This very well could be the end of my 19 year ebay account. That is absolutely ridiculous to not have a way to refund tax that doesn't need to be paid now.

Remembered this post and thought I would add my experience, didn't go through all of the responses to see if you resolved this.

I purchased an item on EBAY, it was damaged in shipment due to improper packaging. After a lot of back and forth I got the seller to refund my purchase price. I got the original purchase amount in a refund from the seller, and the tax refund from EBAY.

Latest posts

Top Bottom