EBAY has lost its damn mind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some reading a few weeks ago about the tax rate eBay collects. From what I read, they collect an average rate per state and not a rate based on a zip code. My zip code should only be charged state and county tax which is 6.33% and not a city tax. eBay charges me close to 10% which is ridiculous. It makes me wonder if they are actually paying the premium on the correct tax rate to the state or pocketing the difference like on office space.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some reading a few weeks ago about the tax rate eBay collects. From what I read, they collect an average rate per state and not a rate based on a zip code. My zip code should only be charged state and county tax which is 6.33% and not a city tax. eBay charges me close to 10% which is ridiculous. It makes me wonder if they are actually paying the premium on the correct tax rate to the state or pocketing the difference like on office space.

Sales Tax 101
Origin Based States (Charges Sales Tax Rate at Shipping Point)
Destination Based State (Charges Sales Tax Rate at Destination Point)
Nextus (Not based in State but must charges like they are)(Could be Origin or Destination Based)

Zip Code do not reflect the above Sales Tax Laws

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes if you use Amazon and check the actual stores listed in the sidebar, they will sell the item with free shipping and
no sales tax. Check the actual store in Ebay and they will sometimes do the same thing. Or Google the item and find a
store with the lowest price and no tax and free shipping.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so I was waiting for the paypal e-check to get out of purgatory from the guy that did the refund. Amazing how I pay instantly but have to wait 5 days for his refund to clear on broken crap he sent me. I digress anyway it finally cleared today and then E-bay refunded my sales tax. So it looks like E-bay does have it setup to refund tax after sellers refund clears. Sadly their associates didn't know that at Ebay or they could have simply told me that vs transferring me around and leaving me on hold for a 20 minute call.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I was waiting for the paypal e-check to get out of purgatory from the guy that did the refund. Amazing how I pay instantly but have to wait 5 days for his refund to clear on broken crap he sent me. I digress anyway it finally cleared today and then E-bay refunded my sales tax. So it looks like E-bay does have it setup to refund tax after sellers refund clears. Sadly their associates didn't know that at Ebay or they could have simply told me that vs transferring me around and leaving me on hold for a 20 minute call.
I'm glad for you! Now, I'm going to need you to send me some money. I've missed out on some great deals during this Boycott EBay for Blake time period.
PayPal is fine.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sales Tax 101
Origin Based States (Charges Sales Tax Rate at Shipping Point)
Destination Based State (Charges Sales Tax Rate at Destination Point)
Nextus (Not based in State but must charges like they are)(Could be Origin or Destination Based)

Zip Code do not reflect the above Sales Tax Laws

It’s based on destination location with most internet retailers that charge sales tax. What is the location based on?

I’ve experimented with other zip codes and the zip code determines the location used for the tax. For example, 74018 is inside a the city of Claremore and the city tax is applied if this zip is used. If 74019 is used, most retailers do not charge the city tax. I can use either zip with my address and will get the delivery. I am not in any city limits and shouldn’t be charged the city tax rate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom