Edmond Home Explosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Must be why the water heater code has it 18" off the garage floor
yup. NG just kind of floats through the air but it certainly rises. Mercaptan is introduced to create the smell.
Years ago one of the kids around Ponca had a parent that worked at the ONG where they introduced the mercaptan to the NG. It takes just a few parts per million to create the smell to alert us. Those kids got a bottle of it and drove around the Conoco refinery and parts of town dumping it on the street. It was almost mass panic. The Refinery shut down all operations, emergency services was called out along with all LEO and fire.
Took a couple hours to figure out that it was not a NG leak.
Wasn't you was it? :D

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yup. NG just kind of floats through the air but it certainly rises. Mercaptan is introduced to create the smell.
Years ago one of the kids around Ponca had a parent that worked at the ONG where they introduced the mercaptan to the NG. It takes just a few parts per million to create the smell to alert us. Those kids got a bottle of it and drove around the Conoco refinery and parts of town dumping it on the street. It was almost mass panic. The Refinery shut down all operations, emergency services was called out along with all LEO and fire.
Took a couple hours to figure out that it was not a NG leak.
Wasn't you was it? :D

I was never that cool lol

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
e786b8f1-13c0-4743-afb8-1868ab113183-large16x9_Edmondexplosion2.jpg
large960_blur-b0987f2bffee4d834084117623e7f2f4.jpg

View attachment 175512

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kfor.com/news/local/one-person-killed-in-house-explosion/amp/

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am going to show my lack of knowledge but have to ask. If there was a spark and explosion shouldn't there have been some sort of fire?
I thought they said the mother and other child had burns but i never saw any smoke or smoldering hot spots while watching it all yesterday morning.
Someone please enlighten me.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am going to show my lack of knowledge but have to ask. If there was a spark and explosion shouldn't there have been some sort of fire?
I thought they said the mother and other child had burns but i never saw any smoke or smoldering hot spots while watching it all yesterday morning.
Someone please enlighten me.

Probably blew up so fast, it blew itself out. Once the enclosure was gone, PPM of the LP wasn't high enough to burn.

ZGXtreme

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shawn and his family are absolutely amazing people. Without Shawn in our life, my wife and I would not be here today and as a result we’d not have our wonderful children. The spirit that lives within Shawn and each member of their family is beyond belief. My heart is broken at the loss of their little girl Berklee and I cannot imagine the pain that has been brought upon their hearts.

While I ask that those willing would pray for their physical and spiritual healing... Shawn made a request last night for our prayer vigil that exemplified the strength he has in Christ. Shawn asked that we all pray that despite the tragic event, God continue to get all the glory. No blame. No anger. Just praise and hope.

If anyone would be willing to help out, even the smallest amount, there is a GoFundMe set up to help Shawn and his family with the expenses to come.

I know they, and those of us who love and cherish them dearly, would be most grateful and humbled at the help.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/maguire-family-care

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom