Educate me Cell phones and internet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you can, depending on your phone carrier. You can use a personal hotspot or tethering to essentially use your phone as a modem. Its not as fast as using an actual "hotspot". You'll also have to check usage and availability with whoever you go with as a carrier. My Verizon plan has 10GB of free personal hotspot included with my account, but my wife's ATT plan doesn't. When on road trips, I can turn it on and the wife can do paperwork or whatever she needs on her laptop while we're driving. Or I'll use it when I'm out away from the house and need internet. Works pretty well.

Like HoLeChit's comment, the wife and I have been on Verizon. We were having internet issues with @Link (AtLink) because the tower our system worked off of was one of their oldest towers. AT&T wasn't going to be of any help because I had to step outside to make any phone calls. We visited with Verizon with regards to their MiFi system for internet, and they told us to try it and if it didn't work, we could return the MiFi unit and get a full refund.

It worked so well for internet that when our AT&T contracts for phones expired, we switched to Verizon for those as well. Much better service over AT&T. And, as noted, we can take our MiFi with us on the road and use it if we are where we can get cell signals, either in the vehicle or in hotels, vacation rentals, or whatever. Since we have pretty good WiFi from the RV park, I seldom ever have to use the MiFi at home, so we didn't go with the "best" internet package that Verizon offers. If I do happen to reach the limit on gigabites of usage, I still have internet, but it is "throttled down" to slower speeds.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have internet access working at your home, you can tell your phone to use the WIFI to run your calls through it instead of having crappy cell service.

I do that with my iphone, not sure about the android stuff.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Tmobile Business Tablet $10/month line in a $500 modified modem/router and get 350-500mbps download/20ish upload speeds and use 200+gb per month.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People still have land lines?
Yep, with a cell tower a half a mile away my house is in a dead spot. Even on top of hill, cell service sucks here, have tried all major and local carriers all the same. My wife and I are on 24 hr call alot so have to have a land line. But it's a tax deduction being a requirement for work, so there is at least that.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a newer internet service called Nextlink that has been offering $39 a month in the El Reno area- I had Atlink one time in a rural area that was about $70 a month- I currently have cox and I think its about $70 a month- I'm getting ready to something cause my cox bill is now almost $300- I do have movie channels, but they are suppose to only be $20 of that. I'm just on the middle tier level too. I've had Direct TV and is ok most of the time except for weather issues. Been without a home phone for at least a dozen years and maybe 15.
Make sure your discounts have not timed out Cox won’t inform you of this you must call them, this is why many bills climb up. I called Cox and they adjusted my current bill and re installed my discounts.
Hope this helps.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wifey and I switched from Verizon mobile to T-Mobile cell phones due to price and available unlimited plan with T-Mobile that was cheaper than our 8gig Verizon plan. We had at&t u-verse home internet that we could only get 3Mbps DL max due to being on the outskirts of town. I can't stand at&t so a few months ago we switched to Verizon lte home internet jic something happened with T-Mobile towers we'd still have internet. The lte is $50/mth for 50Mbps DL and 5Mbps UP and the T-Mobile unlimited have 40GB of mobile hotspot available if you'd rather do that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom