Educate me on cans...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a lot about cans, but little about suppressors. I'm an impulse buyer and I plan on ordering one soon. Call it a graduation gift to myself...

I'm looking at the YHM phantom series. Primary use will be on my SBR shooting .223, but I might want a .30 cal can for a bolt gun later.

My big questions are...

1.) When you use a .30 cal can like the Phantom on the 5.56, what's the difference in reduction?
2.) Do ya think a .30 call phantom fit under my handguard (VLTOR CASV)?
3.) Which do you prefer, stainless or CM, and why? What's the difference in weight, maintenance, etc.?
4.) Should I be considering other brands?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest issue with running a .30 can on an AR is excess weight and length. A dedicated .223 can will be quieter and make the gun easier to handle.

The YHM cans are attractively priced. But since you're paying a $200 tithe to Uncle Sugar and used cans loose a lot of value, make sure you'll be happy with it. It's tough to swallow, but I knew I'd be happier with an M4-2000 so I ponied up the extra bucks for one.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a lot about cans, but little about suppressors. I'm an impulse buyer and I plan on ordering one soon. Call it a graduation gift to myself...

I'm looking at the YHM phantom series. Primary use will be on my SBR shooting .223, but I might want a .30 cal can for a bolt gun later.

My big questions are...

1.) When you use a .30 cal can like the Phantom on the 5.56, what's the difference in reduction?
3.) Which do you prefer, stainless or CM, and why? What's the difference in weight, maintenance, etc.?

A .30 cal can will be louder than a 5.56 can on a 5.56 rifle normally.

Measure your hand guard and look up the dimensions of the can.

Stainless or CM for what?

Yes.

The 30 cal Phantom don't perform nearly as well as other brands. Yes you save a little coin, but some people may regret not saving up for a better can in the long run. A lot of people are perfectly happy with their choices. It all comes down to what you want. Several other cans are lighter or quieter or have a better QD mount and some may have all three over the Phantom.

If it were my money and I was buying a .30 cal can I'd probably only look at AAC right now. They are producing some amazing stuff and probably leading nearly every class of silencer right now.

Now, you should probably spend $30 and become a premium member of www.silencerresearch.com. They are pretty much the best source for silencer reviews and dB reduction numbers. I'm sending you a PM about this right now.

IIRC, the 5.56 phantoms are pretty good performers for the $$, but I'd probably have to pass on the .30 cal phantoms.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was fortunate to be able to shoot my first two choices in .223 cans in order to form an opinion based on some experience. I opted to go with the SS YHM phantom. I thought that it sounded very similar to the M4-2000 but it was a little heavier if I remember correctly. This is a video of my can in action. I am running this can on a 10.5" barrel with regular ammo. I think it's also worth pointing out that the video was shot at Oil Capital on one of the 25 yard ranges with metal walls on both sides in farily close. I'm very happy with the YHM.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot a lot of full-auto or rapid semi-auto, you want a blast baffle made of Inconel. This is what is in the AAC M4-2000. The Phantom blast baffle is SS.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot a lot of full-auto or rapid semi-auto, you want a blast baffle made of Inconel. This is what is in the AAC M4-2000. The Phantom blast baffle is SS.

IIRC, all the baffles in the M4-2k are Inconel and the Tube is 316SS. I think the first 2 baffles are Inconel in the M4-1k and the rest are 316 with a 304 tube. Not 100% sure on this one of the top of my head.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, all the baffles in the M4-2k are Inconel and the Tube is 316SS. I think the first 2 baffles are Inconel in the M4-1k and the rest are 316 with a 304 tube. Not 100% sure on this one of the top of my head.

I think you are correct.

I have an older 18-tooth model M4-2000 and it has seen a LOT of full-auto fire and also a lot of use on a Rem 700 in .22-250. It is still going strong. I have been very pleased with AAC.

ETA: Here is the info from AAC's website: http://www.advanced-armament.com/default.aspx?pageId=23

M4-2000 is Inconel 718 & 316L SS

M4-1000 is Inconel 718 & 300 Series SS

MAJ MALFUNCTION

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1. 7.62 cans are often within 3-5db of a dedicate 5.56 can - they do a surprisingly good job (although the bore is too large, the extra internal volume makes up for much of the loss with the larger bore).
2. probably not
3. Stainless is nice if your can will be exposed to salt water any other harsh environments. Carbon steel (with the mil spec phosphate coating that YHM does) works VERY well, though!
4. YHM is an excellent value. There are better performing/lighter cans out there, but YHM has the best price.

You're welcome to stop by and hear one sometime!:thumb:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Major is good people. In fact, it's about time for me to start calling him daily to see if my papers are in. :mean:

Also, in sound suppression 6dB is the equivalent to DOUBLE the actual sound pressure. I think the average Joe can probably hear the difference between 2 cans starting around 3dB.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The SS Phantom blast baffle IS made of Inconel also! see here ----->

http://www.yhm.net/store/SSphantom556.html

The AAC is a little lighter and looks cooler to quite a few. Other then that.... and price I can not tell the diff...

The Major has the YHM at a quite appealing price at the moment. might be a good time to jump in if you are wanting to

CAR... You must be really tired.... You are usually very keen on your NFA knowledge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom