Educate me on chokes and skeet shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far everyone has addressed only half of what you need to know, about chokes. The other and probably most important part is about actually hitting and breaking the clays. There are two methods of shooting skeet. The first is the sustained lead and the second is the swing through. Since this will be your first time, I am going to suggest the swing through method to get you started. The speed of the clays will probably surprise you at first. Basically what you do is start the barrel out behind the bird and as you swing the barrel past it you squeeze the trigger. This gets your aim point past the target giving you the lead time you need for the shot charge and clay to arrive at the same place at the same time. The important thing to remember is even after you pull the trigger you must make yourself continue to swing the barrel. The most fundamental error a newbie makes is stopping the swing as they pull the trigger. You will always be behind the bird if you stop your swing.

One more thing and this may be the most important of all. The ultimate embarrassment is calling "PULL" and then nothing goes boom. You then have that duh moment when you realize you forgot to take the safety off. :blush:
Using your knowledge, I've been associated with the ODW trap trailer that they take around the state at our range in Ponca several times.
When explaining leade on the clay to new shooters in some of our programs, I tell them to equate it chasing your kid around the yard with a garden hose. You have to stay ahead of the kid to get the water on them, and it makes sense to them then.
They don't understand swing through, etc. that shooters can relate to.
I do know there are two theories about leade. One is European that you describe and the other is leade and shoot.
Different trainers use either of those methods, but they are certainly different. Pick one and train.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When explaining leade on the clay to new shooters in some of our programs, I tell them to equate it chasing your kid around the yard with a garden hose. You have to stay ahead of the kid to get the water on them, and it makes sense to them then.

That’s just the way Ruark describes it in “The Old Man and the Boy”.

I read that book when I was about 15. It’s still my favorite book.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the OP asked about chokes and things and that's been covered, I have some different advice. Be prepared to be embarrassed, it can be humiliating, I got invited to a charity skeet shoot, some of the guys on my team had never been in the same room with a gun. At the end of the day there was the award ceremony, and everyone else got a trophy, but we got a bowling ball, and we had to have our pictures taken with it. It was traumatic, it was years ago, but I still have the scars, and then the expenses from all the counseling. Just keep telling yourself this is fun. If we never hear from you again we will know what happened, and we've all been there

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are cheat sheets out there, download one, it helps.
It will tell you how much to lead at each station.
For the novice it can mean the difference between shooting a 19 or a 2.
Follow thru is a must, similar to swing in golf.

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are cheat sheets out there, download one, it helps.
It will tell you how much to lead at each station.
For the novice it can mean the difference between shooting a 19 or a 2.
Follow thru is a must, similar to swing in golf.
Can you post sight for these cheat sheets please. Thanks

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, no need to over complicate things, you’ll have plenty to think about I’m sure. It’s about a finger’s width lead at stations 1&7, two fingers at 2, 3, 5&6, and three fingers at station 4. Station 8? Swing the barrel as fast as you can and as soon as the bird disappears behind the barrel pull the trigger. As has been said before, keep the barrel swinging. Another thing that may help is to u set stand you don’t aim a shotgun as you do a rifle…..you point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom