Educate me on chokes and skeet shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m guessing you were here today for the Whitefields Legacy Classic. My company sent 2 teams and I got to go. Not a great score (34/100) but first go-round with clays.
We were at Elm Fork Shooting Sports for the Auto Body Association of Texas.

My team had 1 guy that had shot this type of thing many times including this exact course. Another guy had done this once or twice in the past specifically for these kinds of events but wasn't really a shooter. The third guy on my team had never done this and even got told not to use his gun anymore about the 4th station because it was an 18" barrel so he had to borrow one of the groups' the remainder of the course.

I actually finished 2nd on my team though but I wasn't really happy with my score. I got 47/100. So not really my thing, but I was happy for not shooting a shotgun in the past decade. Our team was 57/47/42/35.

The funny thing was, it was primarily a bunch of middle-aged or older guys. Then I see this one old guy walk up with high school kids which were clearly out of place for the group. I knew right then, these kids are ringers. Everything about them just screamed, rural Texas country boys. Sure enough, that team won. They announced their team scores and they were 93/92/88/55.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When explaining leade on the clay to new shooters in some of our programs, I tell them to equate it chasing your kid around the yard with a garden hose. You have to stay ahead of the kid to get the water on them, and it makes sense to them then.
They don't understand swing through, etc. that shooters can relate to.
Never thought of it that way but probably the best explanation out there. I sometimes have told a new shooter to lead the bird, if you miss double it, Sometimes its way more than that if they stopped the swing. LOL

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were at Elm Fork Shooting Sports for the Auto Body Association of Texas.

My team had 1 guy that had shot this type of thing many times including this exact course. Another guy had done this once or twice in the past specifically for these kinds of events but wasn't really a shooter. The third guy on my team had never done this and even got told not to use his gun anymore about the 4th station because it was an 18" barrel so he had to borrow one of the groups' the remainder of the course.

I actually finished 2nd on my team though but I wasn't really happy with my score. I got 47/100. So not really my thing, but I was happy for not shooting a shotgun in the past decade. Our team was 57/47/42/35.

The funny thing was, it was primarily a bunch of middle-aged or older guys. Then I see this one old guy walk up with high school kids which were clearly out of place for the group. I knew right then, these kids are ringers. Everything about them just screamed, rural Texas country boys. Sure enough, that team won. They announced their team scores and they were 93/92/88/55.
You mentioned “course” a couple of times. DI’d you shoot sporting clays instead of skeet? If so, the discussions above regarding chokes, leads, etc. would be very different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom